CrazyBoards.org

Apparently I have "schizotypal traits". Any schizotypals lurking around?

I've yet to get a concrete diagnosis during my partial hospitalization, but I did find it interesting when I was told I have schizotypal traits.  I'm not really sure if that means anything in terms of my treatment or not; maybe it will become one of my eventual diagnoses.  It was mentioned along with social phobia, agoraphobia, mood disorder NOS, and OCD.  I'm just a melting pot of crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. :) Sorry I'm late to the party. I often am.

I was diagnosed with Schizotypal PD earlier this year. The understanding I've gotten from my docs is that my social phobia is part of the diagnosis, so I'm curious about yours being separated. StPD is a pretty diverse set of symptoms. If you'd like someone to talk to about it, I'll watch this thread.

I've read up on it on Wikipedia and whatnot, but it doesn't seem like it's very clearly defined, at least not as much as other disorders.  My diagnosis is in its infancy and none of it is static right so it's possible they'll eventually diagnose me schizotypal.  I just feel like I don't have a very clear picture of it.

You're right. It's a diffuse diagnosis, with a lot of possible symptom combinations.

The general gist of it, as far as my docs have given me to understand in our discussions, is that the major defining characteristics of StPD tend to revolve around social difficulty, particularly social phobia and paranoia. Many folks with Schizotypal also have schizoid like traits; that is, social and relational avoidance or indifference, anhedonia, emotional distance, flat or restricted affect, and so forth. n fact, I was diagnosed Schizoid with social phobia before the dx change. I only got changed because I have mild reality testing problems, "odd" beliefs, and a tendency toward unorthodox behavior.

There's a list of nine major criteria,and different people with the disorder tend to manifest it differently. Thedocs told me that the social and reality testing difficulties were the telling factor.

Here's a little questionnaire my therapist asked me to look at. I took it there in her office, and we discussed it over a couple appointments. Obviously it's not a true diagnostic, more a way for you to feel things out, but I found it eye opening. I joked with my tdoc that I have now started a List of Things I Didn't Know Other People Don't Do as a result of taking and discussing this quiz.

http://schizotypaldisorder.m.webs.com/site/mobile?dm_path=%2Ftest.htm&fw_sig_access_token=14b9a804605e29af30907a0295d922a89eb7d19b&fw_sig_permission_level=0&fw_sig_premium=0&fw_sig_is_admin=0&fw_sig_permissions=none&fw_sig_tier=0&fw_sig=96d8d365c0d2c27f347d29624400c65e&fw_sig_site=35199457&fw_sig_url=http://schizotypaldisorder.webs.com/&fw_sig_social=1&fw_sig_session_key=1b09a619b3f2966acd0bced7435112ec0c75d0b33924105efeb2bdd645c8928c-35199457&fw_sig_potential_abuse=1&fw_sig_api_key=522b0eedffc137c934fc7268582d53a1&fw_sig_time=1374391911648&fb_sig_network=fw

Ooh yeah, I have a lot of that.  Some of it was uncanny.  The only real deviation is that when I'm with people I trust I'm quite exuberant, and I'm also quite articulate, except when I'm on weird tangents and sometimes when I'm speaking in metaphors or references.  Hmmmm.

Ooh yeah, I have a lot of that.  Some of it was uncanny.  The only real deviation is that when I'm with people I trust I'm quite exuberant, and I'm also quite articulate, except when I'm on weird tangents and sometimes when I'm speaking in metaphors or references.  Hmmmm.

Haha, I'm the opposite. The more I get to know people, the more paranoid I am of them. I definitely do the speaking in metaphors and references, though.

I didn't know the whole mistaking shadows for people was an actual thing, haha.  And seeing things as abnormally large or small.  One time one of my hands looked huge to me and the other was normal.

Edited by sixteenshells

Same here. Seeing shadows, or furniture, as people, and hearing voices in ordinary noises, are both on the List. :P I have awkward moments with my tdoc where I casually reference some thing I think or experience and she gives me the "why haven't we discussed this?" look, haha.

I was resistant to a PD diagnosis at first, but I can't even argue anymore.

I've never had the experience of things seeming abnormally large or small. I just get the overwhelming sense that my hands or feet are impossibly far away. A few times, lying in bed, I've had to sit up and make sure my hand or foot isn't on backward. It's weird, but I can't shake it.

Edited by Mim

I don't care what I have, I just want a concrete diagnosis, haha.  My doctors seem to think it might box me in but I think it would help me.  I could step back and look at it objectively, as a thing, if there were a label.

I relate to this very much. I don't even care what it's called,I just want to know what it is and what the scope is. What can I reasonably expect of it?

I don't necessarily care what my dx is. That's doctor shorthand for the constellation of symptoms that I have. It's their thing more than mine. I'm only interested insofar as it gives me a frame of reference to arm myself with information.

As far as talking with others who have it, there's a good Schizotypal community at psychforums. It's not as good a site as CB, overall, and I don't visit the rest of the boards, but the Schizotypal forum has some nice folks in it.

I was diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder in 2008.

I honestly don't understand it too terribly much. I fit the criteria. A lot of it has to do with me being "eccentric". (What a nice word..) And my lack of social skills. Some argue it can be confused with autism spectrum disorders. I just find it confusing! Sorry I can't help more. It's not terribly common around here, that I know of. 

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/schizotypal-personality-disorder-symptoms/ gives a better description than I can. 

I'm diagnosed with schizotypal disorder. It's not listed as a PD here in the UK because the ICD lists it as an Axis 1 disorder in the schizophrenia spectrum. I don't have the paranoia and social problems, though I am a naturally solitary person. But I very much have the odd beliefs and perceptual problems that they call quasi-psychotic, and transient intense psychotic episodes. I also have a mood disorder and can have mood-related psychotic symptoms, so it's not clear-cut.

I'm diagnosed with schizotypal disorder. It's not listed as a PD here in the UK because the ICD lists it as an Axis 1 disorder in the schizophrenia spectrum. I don't have the paranoia and social problems, though I am a naturally solitary person. But I very much have the odd beliefs and perceptual problems that they call quasi-psychotic, and transient intense psychotic episodes. I also have a mood disorder and can have mood-related psychotic symptoms, so it's not clear-cut.

I only have paranoia with strangers.  It's mostly an anxiety thing I think.  I never answer the door unless I'm expecting someone, and I never answer the phone unless it's a number I recognize.  I can be socially awkward but I can also be charming, so it's weird.  But I've always had "odd" beliefs and seen people who weren't there, and seeing an object as something else.  I also see words as other words a lot when I'm reading, usually something obscene or morbid, hahaha.  I have a mood disorder too... mostly depression but I've had some instances of hypomania every now and then.

Edited by sixteenshells