CrazyBoards.org

Adrenalin rushes from anxiety/panic?

Adrenalin

Does anyone else here ever get strong rushes of adrenalin pumping through you along with really intense panicky feelings, fear and anxiety when your obsessing, worrying and anxious about something?. With me, sometimes this lasts (off and on) for days and makes me break out in pin-prick type sweats and I just feel miserable and exhausted and want to sleep all the time. Often I get these feelings when I'm dreading an upcoming apointment or something is really eating away at me and causing me lots of anxiety and worry and I start really obsessing ("what if's" and always thinking the worst) about all of the possabilities and how things could all go horribly wrong. Adrenalin has a purpose but oh my!!

I do get this adrenaline rush as well, when I'm anxious. Part of anxiety is the adrenaline. You sound like you become exhausted by the anxiety. Before I found the right meds, I was always exhausted by my anxiety. I felt like I had a motor running inside me 24/7. I felt like that adrenaline was "on" 24/7 and I was just generally anxious all the time. 

Do you have a pdoc and/or tdoc? Do they know about this anxiety that you live with? Would you like some coping tips?

Personally, I found CBT to be immensely helpful for challenging my anxious thought patterns, of "what if what if what if."

I experience enormous bursts of adrenaline when I am anxious. I've realized taking care of my husband (severe uncontrolled epilepsy) that that adrenaline rush can serve a purpose. But unfortunately his seizures are not the only time I have adrenaline pumping. I really liked CBT as well. Well, I have found it very useful, at any rate. It wasn't a thrilling subject.

I get the adrenaline rush also sometimes.  It is like panic/anxiety all at once, my heart beats fast and strong.  Sometimes it leads to hypomania as well because I just want the "rush" to end, so I do whatever it is that might be causing the problem as fast as possible, and then the hypomania kind of stays until I can calm myself down. 

When I feel everything coming on I immediately take a xanax or klonopin, and that usually helps a little.

I definitely get prolonged adrenaline reactions when my GAD acts up. It feels TERRIBLE. I find that my mindfulness skills don't work very well when I have a dramatic adrenaline response going on (they work great for milder anxiety, though), so I usually resort to a Klonopin, which is long-acting enough to outlast the physical anxiety features. (Well, on a good day).  

I also get the adrenaline rush-my heart races, I feel out of control of my anxious thoughts, trouble breathing and I cry b/c I feel so scared. It can be the result of a trigger of my PTSD or for no apparent reason (my GAD). I also take Klonopin to calm down (if my normal tools don't work) and it helps.

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many people to relate to this or even respond so it's a huge relief to see that I'm not the only one who deals with this - even though I wouldn't wish this on anyone!. Yes, it can be horrible. I've had things come up in my life that were terrifying to me even though in reality they were probably not a big deal.

It would start out with, for example, an appointment to see a new Doctor in a few weeks. At first I wouldn't think about it that much but as the clock began to tick down to the day of my appointment, the "what if's" would start and my mind would race with all kinds of really scary thoughts that I would constantly obssess over. This would get worse day after day until I felt like I was living in my own private hell because I would be so scared and miserable. I would get these almost constant surges of adrenalin and severe pancky feelings along with prickly sweats. Then I'd start having these terrible nightmares and wake up multiple times during the night with panick attacks. It would reach a point where I just felt like running away to escape the situation. When I get like this I also tend to become exhausted and fall asleep very early and wake up very late (I guess because my mind is trying to "sleep out" the situation or something). Lots of gloom and doom and feeling very trapped too. It really is awful when this happens.

Thanks again for sharing and letting me know that I'm not alone in this :)

Edited by bluebird50

You are certainly not alone, Bluebird. :) Unfortunately, I can relate to your example that you just posted. The "what if, what if, what if" and the adrenaline rush and the sweats is just horrible. 

Do you have any PRN meds that might help you through these times? 

I am the master of contingency: How should I do this? What if X goes wrong? Well then I'll do Y. But if Y doesn't work? Well, I can always try plan Z, etc. etc. My friend tells me that I compensate for my anxiety with my obsessive planning