CrazyBoards.org

People approved during RE-consideration for SSI/SSDI ...

What changed ?

* I admitted myself for wanting to commit suicide, although they only let me stay 5 days.

* Have since tried (I think) 10 additional medicines.

* Still have no psychiatric care available to me, have reached out to all resources. I have to travel an hour away to get to one and have no money or transportation.

* Med doctor stated as of 10 days ago I am not suitable for work or group mental health treatment plans until psych doctor says I am .. Yet, I cant see psych doc

Other than that I also have notations in my file I added about recent work history and auditory / visual hallucinations / extreme bouts of paranoia. I also documented multiple work attempts (4) since November doing just very small part time jobs failing in each due to stress or my symptoms. 

I really don't know what other proof they could want on top of the proof they already had. 

But the question stands - If you were approved during reconsideration but denied during initial phase ... What had changed ? Hospital admissions ? Psych opinions ? Failed work attempts ? Anything else ? 

They just want to know if anything has changed since starting SSDI (or since your last review).  I just had to do this, and all they wanted to know was if I was doing better/worse/same than the last review.  Also asked about hospitalizations, surgeries, and recent DR appts and reasons for all.

I was approved on reconsideration for SSDI.  I'm not sure what my pdoc sent initially, but on re-consideration he asked if I wanted him to fill out more paperwork and that I would have to pay $50 for his time.  I did and I was approved soon afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man, it is my dream to be approved on Re-consideration phase. I have been in the Recon phase now for a month or so. Not long. I obtained an attorney to help me through this phase and the hearing phase should I be denied on Recon. 

If you have had a lot of changes (worsening of condition as you have mentioned) and can provide SS with that information, I am sure it is possible to be approved in Recon. I have been told that a new examiner handles your case on Recon- not the same place/examiner looking over your file for new info. Who knows, but that makes it sound especially possible if someone new is reviewing and there is new evidence.

However, I am a member of a SSI/SSDI support forum- but most importantly, I have spoken with 2 local lawyers who told me that approval in Reconsideration phase is extremely low. I was told to expect not to be approved until the hearing phase. 

Looks like it happens though! Congrats to you, confused.

I wish you well, lanry. Hang in there and keep fighting for your benefits.

I've been approved every time I have had to be reconsidered for SSDI.  I haven't heard back from them from about 3 weeks ago, but I've never had any problems (KNOCK ON WOOD).  I guess I'll find out August 3rd when my SSDI is usually deposited into my account.

Are you talking about the SSDI review, melissa? I am referring to the part of the process after you initially apply and get denied. After that 1st denial, they put me (and most states do this) into a Reconsideration phase. That is where you usually obtain a lawyer and your records are reviewed by a new examiner, which determines your second denial or (rare at this stage) approval for SSDI. If you are denied the the Reconsideration phase, then you move on to a court date with your lawyer and a judge who review and discuss your case live with you. So maybe you mean SSDI reviews that happen every so often to ensure that you are still legally disabled?

Hope it goes well though, melissa!

Edited by Night in Juniper

Are you talking about the SSDI review, melissa? I am referring to the part of the process after you initially apply and get denied. After that 1st denial, they put me (and most states do this) into a Reconsideration phase. That is where you usually obtain a lawyer and your records are reviewed by a new examiner, which determines your second denial or (rare at this stage) approval for SSDI. If you are denied the the Reconsideration phase, then you move on to a court date with your lawyer and a judge who review and discuss your case live with you. So maybe you mean SSDI reviews that happen every so often to ensure that you are still legally disabled?

Hope it goes well though, melissa!

Yes, the SSDI review.  Ohhhhh I'm sorry; I thought you were referring to what I was thinking of.  I mis-understand the reconsideration phase phrase.

I hope it goes well too!  Thanks!

SSA told me it was based on your last name and birthday. I get mine the 2nd Wednesday of each month. I wish I got it on the 3rd!

I thought it was based on your SSN, factored into your birthday.  I'm probably wrong though; not sure.  Maybe it is different by state?

Food stamps is based on SSN ... the first number of the last 4 digits, then plus one (I forget why the plus one though).