CrazyBoards.org

Forgetting to take meds - symptom?

I keep forgetting to take my meds. It's not deliberate at all, and I don't understand why it's happening. I have a very strict routine and always take them at the same time, and I've done this for years. But tonight, for instance, I was having my routine drink, and I had nearly finished it when I suddenly realised I hadn't taken my meds with it, even though I usually always do.

It's really strange, I'm wondering if it could actually be some kind of symptom, because I'm not that well right now. 

And I don't know what to do about it - this is really not a good time to be forgetting them.

Edited by werehorse

My dad said forgetting meds, or quitting them, is so common in bipolar patients, that it might as well be a symptom. It could very well *be* a symptom, it is so wide-spread, but I do not actually know that.

the worse i feel the more i forget them.  i'm usually good at remembering (i'm good at routines).  something about my focus being elsewhere probably.  it's not that i do it on purpose either.

I know I've had times when I haven't *wanted* to take them, but this is different. I've just been hammering it into my head to remember though, and I've definitely had them the last couple of days, which is helping with everything that is going on, so that's something.

I have been having problems lately too. I even bought a pill box that for a month or so, I was good at refilling. But now I just look at it and think "too much work to divide up the pills and put them into boxes" so then I forget if I have taken my medicine already or not, and to err on the safe side, dont take them, as I don't want an OD or have weird side effects from taking too much. 

I have alarms on my phone, calendar reminders, etc... and yet I still have difficulty. 

I find that http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/64876-i-took-my-meds-today/ seems to help me, but then I have to remember to visit that thread each day and it all gets a bit confusing.

In all seriousness though, like many people have suggested I have two alarms on my mobile phone AM and PM for meds, it really helps me remember, I'm terrible otherwise.

When we were packing and moving in May and June, I kept forgetting. And not only am I usually very good about that, my husband takes meds twice a day too, no matter what, because missing one dose will mean huge seizures. So I have a living alarm clock, and it still isn't enough. But once we got to Salt Lake, and fell into a routine, I stopped missing doses.

I have this problem right now. It's been 3 days since I've taken my meds-earlier I thought  was having like a simple partial seizure or something but I realized it was withdrawal. And when I forget once. I'll probably do it again. It starts a pattern. This isn't the first time the past 2 months I've done this-well first time it was a total of 3 days in a row. 

Edited by Bipolar_Flower

This is the one thing that I don't have trouble with.  I don't use pill boxes or anything like that.  I may not always take them at the exact same time every day, but I do take them almost every day (sometimes I accidently fall asleep and sleep through the night, but this is the only time I will miss a dose).

I used to forget to take them all the time.  Now I know that I NEED them to get better I have a routine of eating 1/2 my meals and then taking my pills and eating the other 1/2, that works for me.  I make sure my pills are on the table so I am reminded to take them.