CrazyBoards.org

I crave love and affection so bad I want to fall to my knees hug myself rock soothe myself and cry. I just... I feel insane. I have an unstable identity. I go from goth to emo to flapper (Me now) to lesbian to straight to bisexual to Christian to Pagan to Satanist to BLAH-and these are just off the top of my head there are plenty more where they came from-looking for it by fitting in with a group (Basically finding it in the group).

I suffered from neglect my first 15 months of life by my emotionally unstable (Possibly bipolar) birth mom (I am now adopted). My therapist thinks this is the cause of a lot of my issues subconsciously though I have yet to talk to her of this. I still have communication with her but of course she denies these things even though there are 2 written testimonies-one from her mother (My grandma) who loves her dearly and her grandma (My great grandma) who also loves her dearly-neglect from court (I have them). And my Aunt who baby sat me (No blood relation to her-she's from my dad side-whom my mom divorced) is a a good visual. My adopted parents also said when they got me I looked like I had never been bathed. 

I just want to be loved and cared for. It makes me want to break down. The worst part is... When I do get love. It doesn't work. It's not enough. It works but like... only for a short time. Then it comes back. I feel.... emptiness....

I feel so messed up. I just want to be stable and me-though I've gotten so confused trying to be loved I have a hard time telling the difference between those attempts and who I am.   :(

Anyone relate? Or just also an love/affection craver?

Edited by Bipolar_Flower

I can absolutely relate, and I too was adopted/ I was adopted at 3 months old by a mentally ill woman.

I've read some good books you may also find helpful. Primal Wound & Coming Home To Self both by Nancy Verrier Newton.

My BF just told me last night that I cant give love to myself so I seek my love from others to feel fulfilled.

Your not alone

I feel the same most of the time.  It's really painful.

I totally relate. 

In my case, it was my biological mom who didn't seem to understand the power of "touch".  And I only found this out in small segments - such as (1) when I was 6 months old, if I cried during the night, I would wake up my older brother who was really tough to get back to sleep so she put me downstairs in the garage to sleep (WTF?).  All alone in a dark damp garage?  I guess she thought a baby wouldn't be able to sense that. 

And (2) was when I had her babysit my own baby at 8 months old - I was running off to an interview so dropped my son off with her for just an hour or so.  I come back to find my baby lying on the floor (it was carpeted, I'll say that much), with a milk bottle rigged up with a hangar with him sucking on the milk bottle....and she sitting on the chair next to him knitting.  I remember scooping my boy up and she never babysat him again.  I found it rather sad as it made so much sense at how much I craved touch/affection my whole life.

I remember being about 6 years old and falling down the stairs, enough to get a bloody chin.  I sat off in the corner and just cried....my grandfather saw me and asked why I didn't come get anyone to help me.  I guess I never expected someone to be there for me. 

I look back at my childhood life and all the sadness/angst makes so much sense to me now.  I still don't know how to heal it all, but I'm hoping the first step is to understanding all of it. 

But, LOL, at the rate I'm going, I'll be 70 or so before I figure all this out!  :)

It sounds like your mother is treating him like one of Harlow's monkeys. They were only given a wire "mother" that the experimenters stuck bottles onto. Those monkeys all became severely disturbed.

I can relate, Bipolar_Flower. My mother was never really a touchy-feely kind of person, not very affectionate and I could even call her cold at times. Her mother was exactly like that. My mother made a concerted effort to be more affectionate than my grandmother, but she still fell into what she knew at times. There are a lot of reasons I crave attention that I won't get into right now or else I'd be telling you my life story. But I know how you feel. I really, really empathize. 

I'm so sorry you are in pain, Bipolar_Flower. It really fucking hurts to feel like this. Is there anything comforting you can do for yourself when you feel like this? When little me craves love and attention, I often cuddle a teddy bear. Or, I wrap myself tightly in a cocoon-like blanket and it feels like I am being bear hugged. I have a boyfriend, who satisfies my need for love and attention, but little me often needs something more, something he can't provide. She needs a mommy. And it really hurts. But in the meantime, wrapping myself in a blanket or cuddling a teddy bear seems to soothe her/me. Also, stroking my own hair, whispering loving words to myself and hugging myself can really help.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Poem
      Hello everyone,
      So it has been a while since I have posted on the forum, but I wanted to hear from others on this topic. What does identity instability look like for people with borderline personality disorder? I want to get feedback from people who actually deal with this problem. The reason is that I believe I deal with this problem (feeling like I don't know who I am, confusion about gender/sexuality, not knowing what I truly believe in, feeling like I lose myself in others, changing goals/career ideas, etc.) This is a longstanding issue.
      I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 disorder initially, and this was changed to Schizoaffective disorder: bipolar type. My original psychiatrist denied the possibility of BPD, but I feel like that is a more accurate dx than the other two. (In all honesty, I heard from other medical staff later on that this PDoc basically dx'd everyone as bipolar!) Also, I was diagnosed only after a reaction to a medication (which was possible due to the newly published DSM V),  and I feel that the majority of "psychotic" symptoms that I experienced (that led to the dx change) were caused by the many other med cocktails I was given over the years. I'm very sensitive to medications, and have tried many to no success.
      I've read about real life experiences from people with all these disorders, and none of them have spoken so truly to me as borderline has. I started crying the other day because it made so much damn sense. I am not looking for a diagnoses from anyone. I just want to hear from others...I am going through a very bad stretch, and I just want to feel like I am not alone.
      I want to avoid posts indicating that everyone goes through identity crisis. I know that. But this is something that has been with me for a looong time. So, to anyone who is willing to share a bit of their story with me: Thank you in advance. I really need to know I am not alone in this right now.
      Poem

• By SeeingClearly
      Error...

thanks
    • By SeeingClearly
      Hello, I just joined, so I apologize if this has been talked about before... it took me a decent while to find a forum online I felt comfortable being a part of. I must admit, the swear words in your writing made me feel right at home haha Anywho, the idea of having this forum accessible from an easy to use application would be amazing! That way, when we are on the go, it may be easier to flow through the app and respond to others. Just a thought. And of course, I’m a bit manic today, so I just had to let you know
      thanks!
    • By InkBlot2771
      Hi there!
      Recently a new girl has started work, and I've taken a liking to her.
      The trouble with this is that I've walled myself off from other people for around 7 years. I've been managing to deal with my illness by not talking to other people, not having friends, not having a partner.
      I wasn't looking for anything with this new girl, but unfortunately, my body has had other ideas. I've been hit by a wave of emotions for her that I'm just not able to deal with. What makes it worse is that she's been seeing a guy for 14 years and there's no chance that we will ever get together. I think that she was attracted to me when we first started talking; I don't think that she would want to go out with me still, but life isn't black and white. I was flattered that she was like this, but I didn't push the issue, I knew how things were.
      On the mood scale chart that I keep seeing everywhere, I'm normally between 5-8. Since this has all started. Since her turning me down, I'm now between 2-5 most of the time, I think I've dipped down to 1 twice in the last couple of months.
      With my mood being all over the place, it is becoming more difficult to talk to her and I think she's pushing me away now; I can see things from her perspective and I can't blame her.
      Recently, she's been smiling at someone else in the office that isn't me and I'm having difficulty with it. It all feels so stupid, but I've now let someone have too much power over me and it is keeping my mood low.
      I don't know how to get out of this. I'm worried that if it continues I will need to take time off work and if that happens I might lose my job, my house, etc.
      I need help!
      Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can move on more quickly?
      Has anyone dealt with similar issues?
    • By X Anime Lover X
      Ok let’s get started, so I have a crush on a boy in my year. 
      I like him a lot but I can’t find any ways to get close to him. He is normally surrounded by people and I get embarrassed. I also get sad when I haven’t said anything to them at least once a day. Even a small ‘hi’ helps.
      The only time they are alone is when they are walking home. I could walk home and walk with him but there’s these problems:
      1) My dad picks us up since he is a stay at home dad. By us I mean me and my brother.
      2) The way he walks is different to how I would, so I would have to figure out a way but I’m willing too. 
      I’m going to try and walk home with him. I’ll use my phone as a map then once we have walked close enough I can say I’ve accidentally went the wrong way. Since it will be random how I’m suddenly walking with him I’ll make sure to say a reason why.
      Thank you and does anyone have any advice?