CrazyBoards.org

Hey everyone,

Tried to do a little search on this before I posted, but didn't have much luck, so I figured I'd start my own thread anyways.

Here's what I'm currently prescribed:

300mg quetiapine xr, 300mg wellbutrin XL, and 25mg trazadone as needed. Quetiapine at night, wellbutrin in the am.

I started out on 150mg seroquel xr plus the others, and it was great for a couple weeks. At my next appointment with my doc I told him it was tapering off, so he gave me the choice of increasing the seroquel by 50mg at a time, or just going right to 300mg. I opted for the straight to 300mg choice because why not. I'd end up there anyways so lets get this party started. I felt great again for another week or so; wasn't as angry 24/7, could walk around in public like I actually belonged there, less anxiety, less noise in my head. All the things I'm sure were supposed to happen. But again, it tapered off. I wasn't able to see my doc for a longer period of time this go around, so I decided to try taking an extra 150mg I had left from the first time along with my 300mg, bringing me up to 450mg. All the other meds stayed the same. And this time, same result. Felt great for a few days, then slipped back into the old me that I hate over time.

It's been a coupe of weeks now and I feel better than I do without any meds, but I still don't feel like I think I should. So here's my question: I know I need to talk to my doc about all of this, and that nobody can suggest I do anything without his advice, but is there any inherent danger in me increasing my dose another 150mg to bring it to 600mg? What are the risks, if any, that I would need to consider if I did this? For better or for worse, medication isn't a new thing to me, so I feel like I have a handle on the effects and the intended dosages for treating certain things. My doc won't tell me what we're treating because in his opinion, if the meds work and I feel better, what does it matter? I agree with him to a point, but that's neither here nor there. Again, I'm not asking anyone to tell me it's safe per say, because I know 600mg is still less than the recommended maximum dose, but is there a chance that I'll potentially do more harm than good? And what risks would I be taking? I don't see my doc until August 2nd because he's a busy guy, but I don't really want to walk around like this until then if I can avoid it.

Is it also possible that I'm on the wrong meds if I'm only getting a solid week, maybe two if I'm lucky, before I start feeling like the old me is creeping back? First time on seroquel, so any advice on how fast your dosage increased to where you felt it didn't need to be increased anymore would also be appreciated.

I'm not sure what the rules are on these kind of questions. I didn't see anything against them, but I apologize if it's not in line with the guidelines.

Thank you in advance,

shiftee

*edit*

One little side note; I'm also a little wary that I may be chasing the dragon, so to speak, in that it doesn't matter what my dosage is increased to, that great, almost euphoric feeling will never stay once my body adjusts to it. And what I call euphoric, the general population just calls being genuinely happy. It's such a foreign feeling to me, and I'd like to have it back.

Edited by Shiftee

Ask your doctor, at higher dosages Seroquel acts like an antipsychotic and your benefiting from that. You're having less anxiety, and feeling good, but antipsychotics aren't usually a cause for concern as they hold little to any recreational usage. Before increasing it to 600mg talk to the doctor and make sure you can get a refill for 600mg or a new script. Being stuck at 300mg or worse running out of medication will leave you in a destructive state. But again you are just receiving the benefits of the antipsychotic. Seroquel made me calm and happy; very mellow indeed. Out of all the antipsychotics I've tried Seroquel came in second after Abilify (I only tried each of these medications once, I never complied taking them).

Edited by Forbidden91

For better or for worse, medication isn't a new thing to me, so I feel like I have a handle on the effects and the intended dosages for treating certain things.

I think that you're treading in dangerous territory in saying that you feel like you "have a handle on the effects and intended dosages".  Regardless of how long you've been on meds and how experienced you feel you are, I believe that medicating yourself and making adjustments on your own is never really a good thing.  I've been medicated since 1999, and while I think that nobody knows better than me what it's like to live in my body and my head, I would still rather discuss my needs with my pdoc before making any med adjustments on my own. 

The ideal relationship between a pdoc and patient is one of teamwork, but while mine listens to me and engages in dialogue about what's going on, I still take into account the fact that she's the one with a medical degree and years of practice behind her.  Granted, it took me a while to reach this point - I had some crappy pdocs along the way (such as the one who told me I was a "lost cause") who didn't want to work with me.  I also made some stupid decisions to mess with my meds and dosages on my own (with seroquel IR, actually, when I thought it was a good idea to start taking 1,500mg a day) that didn't get me anywhere in the long run other than really ill and in hospital. 

Basically, I think that those of us who've been playing the medication and treatment game for years do develop some self awareness of what's going on in our bodies, but I do not think that that self awareness can get so perfect that we can treat ourselves. I'm pretty sure that doctors themselves are not encouraged to self-treat.   Call your pdoc now if you don't want to wait until August, lay things out for him over the phone, and see if he will call in a legit script for an increased dose of the XR seroquel.  Apart from everything that I've said, the two posters above have an excellent point about how you will run out of the drug if you start taking more without a prescription for a higher dose.

edited to add - and if you run out, you'll go into withdrawal and trust me - seroquel withdrawal really, really sucks.

Edited by miab

Thanks for the replies. I didn't consider running out of meds early, that's a good point. I would have brought it up with my pdoc when I saw him, I just get impatient. It's frustrating for me and everyone around me when I know what I can feel like internally, and then having that slowly erode away.

I've responded better to the seroquel than I have to any other meds I've been on. It seems to me to be a lot more natural type of happiness than the antidepressants and what not I've been on before. I don't feel so medicated or aware that I'm being medicated. Only problem is, I'm just not sure why it doesn't stick. Did you guys notice that when you had your dosage ramped up? In that it took getting to a certain dose before the feel great effects took hold consistently? Did you notice a difference between brand name and generic?

My pdoc is through my local hospital so the wait times between visits can be a little crazy sometimes. I'll stick with the 300's for now, mostly because I'm out of 150's lol. Just hoping I'm not being unrealistic here, and it wasn't just the first few days of being on drugs that felt good.