CrazyBoards.org

So I am currently very frustrated with myself and medications and things used to manage BP because I currently still feel like crap, despite all these things. So my question here is... How many medications and types of medications, therapies, etc. have you been on before you found the combination that finally seemed to make you feel better? And how long was the process to finding that medications, therapy, lifestyle combination?

There are hundreds of combos of meds out there.

I've been on a lot of different medications (too many to recall/list).  It took me probably 8-9 years to finally get the right combo (see sig).  But that was over the course of many pdocs.  Even now though the cocktail still needs to be tweaked at times.  As for therapy, I was in and out of it for years, but personally did not find it helpful.  I currently see a pdoc who does about 20-30 minutes of counseling when I see him for medication management.

Edited by melissaw72

Hmmm. Well, many years. The current med combination took about 6 or 7 years to figure out. The previous combination that used to work took about 5 years to figure out.

How many different meds and combinations? Dozens upon dozens. Way too many than I would even care to think about. Actually, I'm going to be straight up and tell you that I'm not even going to start thinking about that because it would most likely cause me to feel badly.

Therapy. Well, I was 15 when I saw a psychiatrist for the first time. So, going on 40 years or so. There were a few years in there somewhere that I didn't see a psychiatrist on a weekly basis. Before that it was mostly therapists. I remember seeing one in elementary school.    

well, it took seven years

I absolutely love Lithium, and I also take Seroquel, Neurontin, Xanax prn, and temazepam.  I have done therapy off and on for years.  But the key was trying Lithium.  My brain relaxed in three days.

It helps to have a good psychiatrist whom you like.  That took four doc to find my keeper.

(keeper as in I want to keep him)

Edited by bpladybug

Hmm, well I was treated for depression for several years, without much success. Once I was diagnosed with BP, I was put on Lamictal, which made me hypomanic, once Seroquel was added, I did really well for about a year before becoming depressed again and changing to Lithium, then adding Cymbalta, Concerta and Remeron one by one. I'm doing alright now. Not perfect but OK. So I guess this is my second cocktail really since being diagnosed. Overall I've tried about 9 medications not including what I take now and it's been seven years since I tried the first one. It does take time.

I've found two combos that worked, both with unbearable side effects, so we ditched them. Working on something new at the moment.

NOW, I've been in treatment for just four years, and no one thought there was anything wrong with me other than anxiety for three of the four years. I was diagnosed around this time last year, I believe. I wanted to preface what I'm about to say with that, because I think it matters that we were NOT treating the right thing for a very long time.

I've been on a total of 25 medications in 4 years. However, I was hospitalized in 2010 where the doc THERE diagnosed me correctly within two sessions. MY p-doc didn't listen to that, but they put me on Lamictal and Abilify in the hospital and it made me feel great. Never felt that balanced in my entire life. Wow, so actually MOST of the meds I have been on were in the first year of treatment (some have been given here and there to help with random episodes.)

So all things considered, I was helped with meds rather quickly, when I think about it. 

I still need therapy. I left a year ago or more and need to return. Therapy was also helpful.

Well, it's been 6 1/2 years of treatment so far - but it was only a year ago that docs accepted that I had manias as well as depressions and we started trying mood stabilisers. This last six months has contained more stability and happiness than any previous six months of my life. Yes, I am in an episode right now, but I am hopeful we will be able to address and contain it fairly soon now that we all have a better idea what's going on.

It took about 10 years to find the right combination and too many meds for me to remember.  The current combo that is working has many side effects, but I'm just thankful something is working.  Over the years, I've had, what I call, "start and stop" combos.  These were cocktails that would work for a short period of time and then stop.

It took me about 10 years the first time, but there weren't nearly as many meds to try, because MAOIs and TCAs were out of fashion (or so claimed my pdoc), and there weren't really AAPs. Then I went into remission for 5 years. To be honest, when I look back at that cocktail, it sucked. So I don't know how I went into remission, I just did. I had been taking Neurontin for headaches, but I stopped that *before* I stabilized.

During that 5 years, I just took a low dose of Wellbutrin.

Now, 7 years after that, while there are some meds that are clearly helping, I am still unstable, although not wildly so. Just enough to drive my husband nuts. Since it is July, I should be going batshit in 3-2-1.... I do hope that won't happen this summer, but in the past 7 years, that has been my pattern. Usually I am put on Risperdal for a couple of months after a manic (I still can't believe it) episode

Anyway, you can see in my signature I've tried many, but by no means all, meds. But some of those are for migraine.

Well it's been a long road for me too. I first saw a tdoc when I was a kid because of an eating disorder and OCD/anxiety. I must have seen a pdoc too though because I was prescribed paxil.

So it's been maybe 17-18 years almost of on and off again treatment. I was finally hospitalized long term and that's when I got the correct diagnosis and was put on abilify which saved me from a much, much longer stay. That was only maybe 5-6 years ago.

Then I started taking seroquel too just this last year and that has really helped too.

I've been on every AAP except clozapine.

I'm a very lucky one, it only took me and my doctors one year to find a med combination that works for me, for the time being. I am extremely grateful that I wasn't on the med-go-round very long. As well, I had therapy for a year, and my lifestyle changes are a work in progress. However, I'm very happy and stable right now. Don't give up hope. 

It took only a few meds for me and 3 years or so. So I got lucky. I would start one cocktail, be "okay" for a few months then need an increase, did that a few times, switched meds, added one, dropped one other and got on Seroquel. All of that was still so much better than being untreated.