CrazyBoards.org

Those crazy ideas you try out when you're manic?

I'm curious as to how many of your crazy creative ideas have actually worked out. Like, I get all the delusions and stuff, but I can't be the only one who gets insane ideas for useful things and then tries to make them happen?
Like, once I designed and built a hydrogen fuel cell, water goes in, hydrogen comes out, and it actually works. It's on my dad's car, powers it about 20%.

Although another time I tried to genetically engineer a dragon and have detailed the specifics of an enzyme that turns glucose into methanol (or ethanol, I forget, some flammable liquid though) and wing span and area that would allow it to fly and how much it would need to increase wing area as it grew to x length and gained y weight. I also have a whole list of genetic coding and a shopping list of things I would need to buy to make a test tube dragon. 

That one, obviously, didn't work. Nor did the never-ending generator I designed, or the clap circuit I tied to build to open/close my curtains and turn the lights on and off. Other failures include a calculator which scans in your question and comes up on screen with all the working out and correct answer for the question and... I don't know exactly what I was doing with it, but some kind of weird whiteboard that... I don't remember what it did exactly, it was something weird. Oh, and I designed a flying car.

So, how many of you have tried to build/make/design something whilst manic? How'd it go for you? Anything from the completely insane to the completely logical, with or without steps in the logic missing. 

The latest projects I have had while manic are artistic in nature, probably because I'm an artist. Often costly things that I'm not normally interested in doing.

Like, I currently have bag upstairs with everything needed to make these really pretty and expensive art dolls. Fabrics, expensive clay, filling, glass eyes, scultpure tools etc.  I started one doll while manic, which ended up quite ugly due to me being so inpatient while doing it. Cause I have no patience for small details when manic, which is often icmopatible with the art I want to do. And now I'm stuck with all these materials and I'm just not interested anymore now that I'm stable again. I feel like I should do it, though, just because I do have shit ton materials hanging around. :P

A lot of my crazy ideas involve the house. I believe at one point, just to paint over what I'd done, hubby had to actually sand down the walls. 

I'll typically get about 80% of the way done with one of my projects and wander off to some other brilliant idea. Then, hubby has to come along behind and fix things. At one point he told me "No more projects until I can finish all the one's you've started and abandoned." 

I bought a metric crap ton of yarn, too! I knitted the pieces for two sweaters, never figured out how to sew them together, as it seemed tedious and slow, and then lost all interest in knitting and crocheting once my mood crashed. I bought tons of patterns, books, and supplies. At this point, I've completely forgotten how to knit in the first place, and feel really stupid for having spent all that money. All the stuff is still taking up a LOT of room in my house.

Hmm, crazy ideas I've had that actually worked? None. Heh. 

Though, while hypomanic, I did manage to maintain a 4.33 GPA in university. That wasn't exactly a crazy idea... Well, I had this idea that I would be the absolute best. And it kinda worked. 

I don't tend to start a whole lot of projects when hypomanic, I just get really impulsive ideas. Like, for instance, I shoplift when I'm hypomanic. *face palm*

I bought a metric crap ton of yarn, too! I knitted the pieces for two sweaters, never figured out how to sew them together, as it seemed tedious and slow, and then lost all interest in knitting and crocheting once my mood crashed. I bought tons of patterns, books, and supplies. At this point, I've completely forgotten how to knit in the first place, and feel really stupid for having spent all that money. All the stuff is still taking up a LOT of room in my house.

That's weird bookgirl! I hope I don't forget how to knit. Though I am well on my way, trust me. Eek. Well there is always YouTube with knitting videos which is free. ;) let's hope we don't buy anymore yarn. Haha

The craziest "idea" I ever had was to have the cleanest, most sanitary, spotless house in the entire world when we first moved in here. I didn't sleep more than 2-4 hours a night, ran around like crazy, WAITED for dust to fall so I could wipe it up. Many weeks of that. 

I painted some shit, I started a CRAFTY project. I know, you're thinking "WOW THAT'S SO INSANE, OMG!" but for ME it is. I've not ever thought to do anything remotely like that in my life. EVER. It was a pair of bookshelves for my kid. Little tiny ones, no big deal. I had to sand them, paint a million times, stencil them, whatever. They ended up pretty crappy, ha ha but I was TOTALY obsessed with those and the house for months. Just a bunch of shit I never, ever thought I would ever do. (Was unaware of the bipolar thing at the time).

Everyone just thought it was really nice that I was being active. I was losing my shit at the time, ha ha. Can't believe no one around me never thought, "huh, she only sleeps in tiny spurts and suddenly has more energy than a cheetah on cocaine when she's usually more of a drunken sloth type thing, this is weird." but then, being a sloth isn't desirable to most people, so my frenzy may have been a welcome change at that point.

Never really had anything that out there though. Just that. Usually I don't really get many ideas (that I can keep up with, I won't focus. Thoughts go too quickly now) or anything. Energy with nothing to do with it. Wrote 70 or so pages of a novel in three days once too without sleeping. It sucked, just so you know.

A lot of my crazy ideas involve the house. I believe at one point, just to paint over what I'd done, hubby had to actually sand down the walls. 

I'll typically get about 80% of the way done with one of my projects and wander off to some other brilliant idea. Then, hubby has to come along behind and fix things. At one point he told me "No more projects until I can finish all the one's you've started and abandoned." 

This is so me.  One summer I filled and entire garage from floor to ceiling with furniture I was going to refurbish. I would stay up into the hours of the night stripping paint, stain, varnish.  Using power tools at 3:00 a.m.  I don't think the neighbors liked me too much.  I bought 6 cane back chairs that had been chewed to death by a dog, the former owners had punched holes through them.  I had never done caning.  I bought the equipment.  Never got around to it.  At one point,  my ex said "no more furniture."  To say he was pissed off was an understatement.  Eventually - after he was out of the picture and I was stable for awhile, I got rid of 3/4 of it. I did finish a dining room table.  But it is still without chairs, so it doesn't get used other than as a catch-all junk pile.

Sell it on Ravelry and get some money back.

I don't like to admit this, but I bought enough yarn to open up a shop. I don't even knit that much lately anymore. Though I'd like to get back into the swing of it.

you mean your "stash?"  I knit too.  I know people that hoard and buy yarn and they don't even have an MI, so that should make you feel a bit better.  Their stash will eventually outlive them.