CrazyBoards.org

hello! i'm [tired after 6 years of treatment].

quick intro-

18 years old & have been in and out of therapy since the age of about 12. I don't remember ever being happy as a kid, but that's when depression started interrupting my ability to function daily. Since then, I've had 4 therapists, 3 psychiatrists, and tried prozac (6 months), lexapro (1.5 years) , wellbutrin (with the lexapro), & viibryd (6 weeks). The former two made me feel lethargic and groggy, while the latter two had no effect on my mood, though viibryd made me extremely nauseous.

Also since then, I've moved schools three times and moved between living with each of my (divorced) parents twice.

(they divorced shortly after i was born, and both remarried quickly. I went from an only child to having two older step-siblings and three younger half-siblings pretty abruptly. I have good relationships with everyone except my stepmom, who is vile, and my dad, whom i love very much but is as crazy as me.)

I've been diagnosed with major depression, panic disorder, and social anxiety for years, but i was diagnosed with borderline only about a month ago. It fits, it explains some things, but it's still left me very confused about who I thought I was.

Right now, I'm between therapists and meds. After six years, I'm starting to get really sick of going through this whole process over and over and not seeing any results. I've been cooperative in trying to get better- read the books, done the exercises, taken the pills, even willingly tried an outpatient program at a psychiatric ward. I'm exhausted. Would rather not do any of it anymore (not an option right now).

My current psychiatrist is recommending that I next try effexor, pristiq, or abilify. thoughts?

as far as my personality & interests, i'm a bit cynical, vegetarian (3 years), secular humanist, anti-privelage, cinephile, want to go to art school & become an illustrator.

thank you.

Welcome to CB!

I can relate to a lot of what you wrote.  I've also been to three different schools and moved in and out of my parents' house three times in the last few years. 

Being on the med-go-round and cycling through therapists and pdoc's is extremely exhausting.  I hear you.  I also think you'll find a lot of people here who can relate to being in treatment for so long and waiting to see improvement.  But who knows?  Maybe your next med cocktail or a new type of therapy, like DBT, will make a difference. 

Hang in there & enjoy the boards.

Welcome to CB!

I can relate to a lot of what you wrote.  I've also been to three different schools and moved in and out of my parents' house three times in the last few years. 

Being on the med-go-round and cycling through therapists and pdoc's is extremely exhausting.  I hear you.  I also think you'll find a lot of people here who can relate to being in treatment for so long and waiting to see improvement.  But who knows?  Maybe your next med cocktail or a new type of therapy, like DBT, will make a difference. 

Hang in there & enjoy the boards.

Thanks for the reply & kind words. It's always a relief to know that people are going through similar stuff.

appreciate it.

Welcome to Crazyboards.  I'm sorry I took so long to greet you---I had a few personal emergencies.  Anyway, please read the User Agreement if you haven't done so already.  It sounds like you have had a really difficult time of things and I hope you can find a good therapist. 

Let us know if we can help you in any way.

olga

Hi cb

I been medication free for over 10 years. I'm bipolar. I'm on a setitive now due to my trama. But befor that the merrygoround nevr stoped for me. Until I started looking into natural healing. Our body creates energy. With the right stimulation and hurbs I've maintained my own treatment..

Hang in there. Your so young. You will find what works for you.

Have and keep faith in yourself

And you will do just fine.

DONNA

Donna, I'm glad you have found what works for you.

However, CB is a pro-treatment site. And for many people "treatment" includes medications as prescribed by the treatment team and therapy.

We encourage people to work with their care providers to find solutions that work for them.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Parapluie, thanks for sharing your experience with the meds- it makes me feel 100000x better to have a firsthand success story for the exact ones I was recommended. Also, your Amanda Palmer avi is kickin'. I'm a big fan of her and Neil.