CrazyBoards.org

So for the past month I've noticed a steady decline in the amount of times I leave the house. I wake up, take my.meds, walk my dog (leave the house), come back inside and lay in bed (sometimes taking a nap) all day. I can't seem to break the cycle. I know its not healthy. I'm on depakote 1000mg klonopin 2mg 2x a day luvox 100mg and geodon 120mg. I'm looking for any suggestions that can help me break the cycle. I also live in the house where its sweltering out so its easy to find yourself inside.

When I'm in the Black Pit, I try to schedule things---like I might make a dentist or doctor appointment just because it makes me get up and get dressed and go somewhere.

Having a dog and walking it is a good start.  Do you have a friend who also has a dog?  One of the things that has helped me a lot is a daily date with a friend to walk our dogs together.  We take them to a state park or preserve so they can run off the leash, and we get a 30-50 minute hike.  These days, we do it at 7:30 AM because it's hot here, too.  If you make a date with someone, it makes it harder to slack off and go back to bed.

It also sounds like your meds are too sedating, or they aren't effective in treating your depression.  Can you talk to your pdoc about changing one of them or maybe changing dosages? 

I hope you stick around CB and get to know some of our members.  I'm sure some of the others will have helpful suggestions.

olga

Olga has some good ideas.

When I am stuck in hermit-mode, I try to run at least one errand each day.  I'll go to the bank, to get gas, or to the grocery store, even if it is only to pick up a an apple or a soda.  Even if I end up back at home a half hour later, I at least feel like I made the effort. 

Do you like books, movies, or coffee shops?  Sometimes I go to a local coffee shop and drink a coffee there, just to be around people and be out of the heat and the house.  Likewise, I'll stop by the library to browse through books or pick up a movie.

I know it can be really difficult to get out when you feel depressed, but you can start small and set mini-goals for yourself.  Checking in with the pdoc might also be a good next step.

Sometimes the only time I can leave is if I have an appointment or if I've arranged something with someone, then I know I almost have to go and make the effort. I've not left the house for nearly 5 days, I'm blaming the heat but I know I'd be the same without it. 

But mini-trips are also good. Sometimes even going in the back garden makes me feel better, then if the heat gets too much you can go back in and grab something cool. Going into town might be good in the heat too, most shops have some form of air con! 

Failing that, I find it helps to get people over if I feel like I just can't get out (more anxiety here than depression I must admit). Doesn't have to be anything too strenuous, just a coffee or a beer in the back garden. I get my social fix and I don't feel like such a recluse.  

When I'm in the pit from hell I tell myself that each day I have 100 energy dollars and I need to spend them all.  Going to the grocery store is a major expense and cost me 50 dollars.  Taking the trash to the dumpster is a minor expense costing me 5 dollars.  Doing dishes 10 bucks.  Taking a shower and shaving ten bucks.  You get the point.  When I start to come out of the pit from hell I then have maybe 200 dollars each day and so on.  Sometimes when the pit is very deep and dark I only have 50 dollars a day until I start to come out of it.

I know, it's weird but it helps me and also makes me feel less guilty about being in the pit as I can say I spent all my bucks today and tomorrow is another day and then I don't beat up on myself nearly as bad.

I don't know what to tell you about spending more time outside as I have the same issue and for me I just accept it.  I'm not an outdoor type even when not depressed.  Maybe walk your dog more often.  I'm sure the dog would enjoy more time outside and do it for the dog as most having dogs love them and want nothing more than to please them.  I love dogs but live in the city and also a no pets apt. building.  Walk the dog more often for those of us wanting a dog but not being able to have one. 

I know this doesn't help much, but I feel like I could have written your post. All I know is, sometimes that's the way it is. Often I'm doing better and it isn't such a challenge. This definitely may not be true for everyone but I find that occasionally batting down the fort and staying put is just what I need, and when I do it thoroughly enough I eventually get bored and start working on getting out there. Good luck!

My funny little thing I do is go to Walmart. of all the places, I know. But I go and pick uo a couple things that make me happy - some chocolate (not recommending that, but I have a food addiction and right or wrong this is what I do. Doesn't have to be a lot, but just a treat - you can get healthy treats too; I like prawn platters :) and other things that I love to buy for no reason include Tupperware, flowerpots, pictureframes, books. Something exciting to brighten my day and my surroundings. I don't have to spend much money, just get out of the house and find something to bring home. Sometimes I just go to the grocery store to get milk and stop in the floral section and get a potted plant for 5 dollars.

I also started walking in the morning. I have a coworker who egts me up at the crack of dawn and when you have someone to go with, you're more motivated not to let them down!

this is something I struggle with always.

I have bad anxiety.

my body gets tense sometimes just thinking about shopping.

shopping is my main and sometimes only reason for leaving the house.

you gotta eat,right?

I have arranged my life so that I maximize time spent at home.

I'm not comfortable outside.