CrazyBoards.org

I've been dealing with depression and anxiety for the last 16 years. Paxil worked, for a while, nothing else has since. I am currently being treated with Pristiq, Abilify, and Trazodone, and am miserable. I am a full time caregiver for my mom, who has late stage Alzheimer's, and just moved her and myself all the way across the country to live with my sister, so I don't have to care for her on my own anymore. I haven't yet had a chance to see a doctor in my new state, and I don't yet have an income of my own, so I'm going to run out of meds before I get to do that. I was led here by a Yahoo search to find out if I can split Abilify in half.

Welcome to Crazyboards, CrazyCatLady!  I'm glad you found us.

I ask all new members to read the User Agreement, so please do that if you haven't done so already.

Someone may answer your question about Abilify, but have you also checked the places that help people with meds when they can't afford them?  You might want to check some of these out:  http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/20-programs-to-get-low-costfree-meds/

Please contact one of the mods if you need help with anything.

olga

Could you call a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist about cutting the Abilify in half?  I doubt if he will ask you why you are asking as many people don't have prescription coverage and doctors do change doses down. 

Look in the blue pages of the local phone book.  Call up everyone and explain you are your mother's caregiver full time and need meds. There will be some agency or coalition able to pay for your meds even if only for one or two months.  I genuinely wish you the best.  Thanks for taking care of your mom.

Welcome.  Wow, it is brave of you to move to a new state!  That's a big transition, and I hope your new situation proves to be a good fit.

FWIW, I have split Abilify in half (and into quarters) many times, and was advised to do so by two different pdoc's in the past.  If you are unsure, I second the idea of calling a pharmacy.

Thanks. I was actually getting the Pristiq and Abilify free through their respective pharmaceutical companies, but the low-income clinic I went to handled the transaction. There's a low-income clinic here, too, that offers reduced price prescriptions, but I can't afford to make an appt this month.