CrazyBoards.org

Waking up still in a bad dream.

I get really bad 'nightmares' but I don't wake up because I'm already awake. I guess in that sense they're more like hallucinations but I think they start whilst I'm sleeping, I wake up and just project nightmare related things onto my surroundings. I posted it here because I get them a lot, and they disrupt my sleeping patter. If my fiancé is working nights I don't sleep more than 2-3 hours a night in fear of waking with this and being alone (plus I'm always terrified of a break in or something).

The most recent was waking up to clattering and looking up to see coat hanger vampire bats clawing their way towards me, I threw the duvet over them and I could hear them trying to get out. I opened the bedroom door and ran into my fiancé who opened the door and did the whole calming down routine because there was nothing there. He hangs coat hangers on the curtain rail, which is where I must have gotten the idea from. 

I've had insects, rats and coat hanger bats. But occasionally I've had people, or things that resemble people, which is what's really terrifying me. I used to get people dreams on occasion, like once or twice in a 6 month period, the rest would all be insects or something 'minor' in comparison. Recently I get people a lot. Sometimes I wake and I can hear them talking and then I roll over and they're there in my face and I scream and smack at the covers and they're gone. But they're so real and life like :(

The worst is waking up to this guy that starts off sat on the end of the bed and I close my eyes in fear and I can feel him crawling over me, and I look and he's in my face again. I have to push him off and run. Last time I ended up sleeping in the bathroom and I don't remember falling back to sleep, but I went in the bathroom so I could lock the door and climb out the bathroom window.

I just don't know what it is... I've taken over the counter sleep stuff but it doesn't work as I don't really have trouble falling asleep, its just waking up. I must start something in my sleep and I just can't snap out of it in time.   

What you're describing sounds kinda like hypnagogic hallucinations, but I'm not a doctor, so I can't diagnose you. They can be terrifying. I am so sorry you experience these scary things.

Here is a link to the Wiki page describing hypnagogia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

Have you ever had a sleep study done? I would recommend talking to your doctors (GP and psychiatrist) about this, to see if they can help you. Unfortunately, I do not know a lot about this topic, but hopefully someone else chimes in.  

Thank you, I've been searching for a name for it, I spoke to my mum about it as she claims she used to get something similar (she used to see rats behind curtains when she woke for example) and she claimed it was sleep paralysis, which I know its not because I can move and talk/scream whatever. 

Never thought about a sleep study. It would be a sods law that for the length of the study I'd sleep like a baby, no incident. I'm compiling a list of things of things to take to the nurse it seems!

Any other insight is welcome!!! :-) 

I have terrible nightmares of demon possession and feel like I'm being suffocated. I had a sleep study done and have hypopnea. They will monitor your brain waves and its tough to sleep in a strange place.

Can you listen to some meditation music or watch an emdr video before bed,? I hope you find peace

If I'm alone I can't as I think the music will mask noises and I wont be able to hear people breaking in... sometimes I watch a film or just stick youtube on and find something lighthearted like a comedy show or something but it doesn't seem to do much for the dreaming... 

Thank you for the suggestions, I'm sorry to hear you have sleep troubles too :-(