CrazyBoards.org

Anyone have trouble swallowing pills?

Just curious if I am the only one here. I have no dysphagia problems - can chew and swallow food & bev just fine. But pills.. even tiny ones, will cause me to gag and I might end up throwing up. I haven't always had this problem, and it comes and goes. Lately I've been swallowing them just fine. But I'll go through periods of time where swallowing them, even one at a time, is very difficult, and I have to focus my mind elsewhere while I do it, and tip my chin down to my chest to make swallowing easier. 

It is terrible when you go to swallow a pill and end up gagging... and as a result vomit.

I have the same problem sometimes. I find that tilting my head back so that the pills fall to the back of my throat before I swallow seems to help a lot, I also find using something like yogurt instead of a drink helps make swallowing pills easier.

I have this problem. Even to swallow my tiny pills, I pace back and forth and I have a whole ritual that I must follow in order to swallow them. I am very picky about what foods I take them with. I can also take the pill only on the right side of my mouth and I can't have people watch me swallow pills. As for large pills, like Excedrin, I just chew through them. Yeah, it tastes nasty, but it's better than choking. My lithium is liquid. My Vyvanse, I take the powder out of the capsule and I dump the powder either directly into my mouth or I dump the powder in pudding. 

I take my small pills with applesauce. It is very smooth and it helps me to swallow the pills. 

Edited by CynicalReality

I've always had a problem with swallowing pills. 

I don't seem to have a problem with normal-sized capsules.  It's when the pill is dry - that's when it's a problem.  I have taken to crushing my Trazodone at night into some applesauce because the pill is dry and a bit too large for me.  I may try some pudding next time, good idea.

My sister has always had this problem, she can handle calpol in liquid form, but not pain killers in tablet form, no matter the size she throws up. (she's 17).

If they are sugar coated and small, a good swig of water for me and its down, non-sugar coated they feel like they're stuck and I gag/spit up. Dry pills are almost impossible, if I can I break them into smaller pieces, and have been known to crush paracetamol and wipe it into the glass of water and swallow the lot... of course this is no good for capsules. 

Pudding sounds like a good idea actually...

I have this problem...I do this weird like...head toss with my mouth full of water and pills, and then swallow, and for some reason it works. When I switched generic brands of Lamictal I had trouble switching to the new one (two diamond-shaped pills), but then switched back to these huge, round white pills (just one), more trouble.

The worst was a vitamin C tab...I split it into 4 pieces and still gagged/almost threw up from one of them.

The wellbtutrin is the easiest (three 150 mg pills each morning, all at once).

I used to have this problem, then I started meds and had a lot of practise. I think it was an anxiety thing for me, because I was like I don't know how to do this. I didn't take panadol until I was 17 because I was terrified of not being able to get it down. Irrational much. I have trouble with lamicital because it's powdery and chalky and taste makes me want to be sick. But all the other ones I have mastered. I used to sit down, put the pill in my mouth and quickly stand up and tilt my head backwards as I did it. Gravity, no effort required. Or fizzy drinks, the bubbles help because they move so if the pills have flavour (eww) just use sparkling mineral water, if not any kind of soft drink will do.

Oh god, I choke/gag on my generic Lamictal like most of the time I try to swallow it, ugh. Because its so gross when I do, I get anxious every time I have to swallow it, which just makes it more likely it will happen.

I really really don't understand why they can't coat it with something to at least make it slippery, it's like nasty bitter chalk.

Oh god, I choke/gag on my generic Lamictal like most of the time I try to swallow it, ugh. Because its so gross when I do, I get anxious every time I have to swallow it, which just makes it more likely it will happen.

I really really don't understand why they can't coat it with something to at least make it slippery, it's like nasty bitter chalk.

Yes!  This one in particular ... I had to start taking the disintegrating ones because I couldn't swallow it.

Chalky ones are horrid, if they coated them it would be a lot better. I had an indigestion tablet last night and I swallowed it with half a glass of water, it was about the size of a 1pence piece. it got stuck half way and no amount of gagging brought it up. I've bruised my throat it took that long to get down. 

I could feel every step of its journey, I swear I even felt it drop into my stomach. I was panicking that it had fallen into a lung or something it was that hard to swallow.

Sometimes breaking chalky ones are just as bad, because they have jagged edges and I have to drink loads in fear of feeling it scraping my throat.

Sometimes breaking chalky ones are just as bad, because they have jagged edges and I have to drink loads in fear of feeling it scraping my throat.

I agree.  When I was breaking the lamictal in half before the ODTs, the corners of the 2 parts actually made things worse than swallowing the pill as a whole.

I agree so much. It's literally the worst moment of my day, and sometimes I try and do anything else to put of taking it. Jeez guys a little coating wouldn't go astray. Maybe I'll start a petition.

I agree so much. It's literally the worst moment of my day, and sometimes I try and do anything else to put of taking it. Jeez guys a little coating wouldn't go astray. Maybe I'll start a petition.

Have you tried the oral disintegrating lamictal tablets?  They don't tast the best (but they are very tolerable), and they are far better then swallowing the chalky ones.

yes...lamictal...ack!!! I've noticed that if I take it with anything except water or milk, it tastes awful...especially if I try it with pop (rare). I've never considered the dissolving type though...hmm..the diamond-shaped Lamictal is the generic that was the worst for me (it escapes me as to which generic it was) but the huge, round, white one is much better (except for being awkward to swallow).

I have the diamond shaped lamictal for the first time, and they are Teva. Lamictal is the hardest for me, as well. But I quit taking Vitamin B because of the size of the tablet: A couple of times it got stuck in my throat, it was like a horse pill. I feel guilty about it, because I know Vitamin B would be really useful support.