CrazyBoards.org

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children_shealth/9828583/We-did-not-know-that-our-schizophrenic-daughter-January-Schofields-imaginary-friends-were-hallucinations.html

I just read this and thought others would be interested in reading it also.  It is about a girl diagnosed at age 6 with schizophrenia.

There is a thread somewhere on CB I remember reading about how do you know whether the "imaginary friends" when young could be hallucinations, or just a typical kid-thing.  This article reminded me of that thread.

yes, there is a thread about her somewhere on cb. A year or 2 ago the girl was featured as part of a mental health series on the discovery channel - i think (maybe different channel).

I remember watching that particular program at least 2 times and nothing struck out. who knows...Im sure my post 2 years ago is probably different.

even after reading the article, something doesn't feel right to me but then again I didn't go to medical school with the psychiatric training afterwards.

db

This has been public for years, and I really don't appreciate the parents for all this attention seeking; if I went psychotic, I sure as hell wouldn't like to be on the news for it, mental illness carries enough shame with it as it is.

Edited by Ohmy

yes, there is a thread about her somewhere on cb. A year or 2 ago the girl was featured as part of a mental health series on the discovery channel - i think (maybe different channel).

I remember watching that particular program at least 2 times and nothing struck out. who knows...Im sure my post 2 years ago is probably different.

even after reading the article, something doesn't feel right to me but then again I didn't go to medical school with the psychiatric training afterwards.

db

I agree db. I can't put my finger on it but something doesn't seem right. But I have to also say that I have not gone to med school either!!

I read a long article about January (Jani) somewhere a couple of years ago... I remember the separate apartments really well.  It was in the New Yorker magazine or possible in the NYT Sunday magazine; not sure.

How sad and difficult for everyone.   There is a fair amount of depression/anxiety on both sides of our family .. I could relate a little bit since my son has had two psychotic episodes.  He was older, though.  It's hard as a parent to feel helpless.   I don't know how I feel about the parents going public; trying to give/get support?  I don't know, I'm not in their shoes.

Her father seems so pessimistic about her future.  I know it's unpredictable but it may not turn out as bad as he thinks.

'While people are fascinated by his daughter now “because she is young and cute”, no one will “give a ---- in 20 years when Jani’s a homeless dirty old bag lady on the street.'

Considering that the doctor's think she is treatment resistant, the most treatment resistance patient he has treated said one doctor - well that is very disturbing and I understand the father's pessimism.  I think he is also acutely aware of the challenges of having a mentally ill adult child.

Thanks ladybug. 

I've heard of her before and her other world reminds me of the one in "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden".I've never experienced anything like that or heard anyone talk of it. I remember they were living apart.  That must have been very difficult.

They have a book, its called "January First".

I have mixed feelings about how they went about treating their daughter.. the new special, "Jani at 10" came out, I haven't seen it.

I read the comments after the article and it was talking about how she was abused, as well as her brother.  I haven't had a chance to google her name but apparently there are you tube videos out about her.  Also blogs written, some of which I read somewhere in the comments that the father erased some of them.

I think it is so sad how her parents are exploiting her life. 

Her father seems so pessimistic about her future.  I know it's unpredictable but it may not turn out as bad as he thinks.

I agree.  All of us at CB live with a form of MI and even though it sucks we all make the best of life as we can.  None of us are "dirty old bag (ladies) living on the street."  That is like a huge insult.

It really annoys me how they say that the disorder is worse in children than adults. It sounds like a way to exploit stories like this one. We each go through our own hell. 

I saw a documentary about her and a couple of other kids, and i've read her Dad's book. The book is... well.... you have to wade through a lot of the Dad doing the Joan of Arc thing, and very disturbingly he takes every opportunity he can to point out that only HE can connect with her, HE is her parent, his wife "doesnt understand" etc. He runs his wife, and her efforts to care for their children, down at every opportunity and never misses a chance to point out her failings.

There is, as already mentioned, a wealth of information out there which would strongly indicate that she and her brother are being abused and exploited. I dunno, just seems like there is more to this than meets the eye. You also get the impression from the book that the doctors were VERY reluctant to dx schizophrenia, the parents pushed for the diagnosis. Maybe they did that because they have instincts and they were desperate to get her the help she needed. Maybe they knew a child with schizophrenia would get them a book, on Oprah etc. Depends how cynical you are, really, nobody truly knows except them. I think it's very fishy that the doctors are saying the son is autistic and they are saying "no, it's schizophrenia". Kinda feels like they're "grooming" him or something. I can believe Jani is schizophrenic, i think they would have to be the unluckiest family in the world to have TWO children both affected by an illness that is extremely rare in children. Again, just my opinion, im not a medical professional.

Oh yeah, and there's a video out there of the Mother filming her in (i think) the UCLA waiting room and she grabs a piece of metal and starts to try to cut her hand off with it (it was blunt, she didnt actually break the skin, but it's still disturbing behaviour), saying she wanted to cut off her hand. Instead of, i dont know, STOPPING HER, the Mother keeps filming and comments something like "this is what we need to do to get into UCLA". Kind of like the parent with Munchausen by Proxy telling her kid to "look sick for the doctor". Again, just my opinion.

I dont know, i was fascinated with this case for a long time because my illness started young, but not as severe. But the more you scratch the surface of this one, the more questions come up and the fishier it looks.

Edited by esmereldaskysurfer

The book really pissed me off.. I've been meaning to write a review for a while. The father wrote an article saying his daughter is going to be a killer, like Adam Lanza, to Obama, unless he changes things. It's ridiculous. I don't agree with a lot of the ways they've went upon treatment.

One thing that really bothered me in the book was hospitals injecting Jani with Benadryl or Thorazine. And then Jani would REQUEST it so she didn't freak out. It was so sad. I know sometimes its "necessary" (I've been in that position where I've been sedated and put in seclusion to not hurt myself) but its so sad that a child that young is requesting injections.. it bothered me.

I do enjoy watching Jani at the ranch. Another thing that pissed me off about the father, when he took her, he assumed the workers wouldn't be able to handle her, that she'd hate it, that it'd be a miserable experience, and she loved it. I used to volunteer with a program much like the program Jani is in, for therepueitc riding and it was fun for everyone, parents included.

I want to see the new special "Jani at 10" but I can't find it anywhere. I need to work on my Google-fu.