CrazyBoards.org

Too fat to do crossfit

I think I'm going to time it when I know nobody else is there. I've gone once since I joined, and it was really quiet in the afternoon. It was nice. I'm going to try to do walks when most everybody else is at work, too. Awesome suggestion, Jam. Thank you so much. Anything that helps!

I used to go to Curves for Women for a long time. It was a nice circuit type exercise and they were all very supportive and "let's have fun" attitude - When you lost weight, no matter how little, they put little stars on the wall with your name on them. It was only for women and it focused on feeling good and being healthy. MOST of the women there were in their 40's and up, many of them were seniors, a lot of them were overweight. And as an 18 year old I felt a little outside the crowd. but it was good. I ddn't lose a lot of weight there but then again I wasn't really trying. I tried another curves gym in another town and found it kind of snobby. But now I have a coworker who has playfully bullied me into walking with her in the morning, every morning 6km on a trail with lots of ups and downs. It was super hard at first but after only a week it is getting easier. Havn't lost any weight in a week but hey, I don't care. I feel better, plus I get outside in nature and that makes me feel better. You have lost 73 pounds - one day I hope I can say the same! You've got a great achievement there. Don't let some douchebag trainer at a gym make you feel like shit. He's obviously never been fat before if he has that kind of attitude about it. I'd like to see him try it - strap on an extra 80-100 pounds to his body and walk around in that all day.

Walking outside has done wonder for me. I get my heartrate up, get fresh air and sunshine wich helps with the depression, and I exercise my stupid fucked up knee which nobody can figure out what's wrong with it. I like it outside. If you can find a walking buddy who will support you and badger you into not giving up, get one. The world is full of great places to explore and you can get fit at the same time :) Good luck and don't let it get you down. You at -73 lbs are like an inspiration to me right now.

On the good side, I think my body is recovering from crossfit. I can almost look over my shoulder now, lol. My doctor told me (in the nicest way possible) that I needed to lose weight, and suggested a 1200 calorie a day plan, which I'm going to try and stick with, and put exercise in as a bonus. Walking might be the best plan for me right, like you've suggested. I can't really get to the gym, it's still too hard to get out of the house-not to mention the price of gas to get TO the gym!

It's kind of ironic isn't it, that we will happily drive 10km to the gym to work out for an hour then drive all the way back! I like walking - it isn't strength training but fast walking gets your heartrate up and burns calories which is where all of us who are on the heavy side need to start. The first couple days walking 6km almost killed me. But now on the hills and such, though I still get out of breath and tightness in the chest, I recover faster. And it improves my frame of mind at the same time, and it costs no money except for a decent pair of shoes. I figure once I make it back to 180lbs (I started at 247 last year and am now at 225!) then I will start thinking about doing some strength training. But my gym days are done. I prefer to find things I can do by myself to get exercise.

Well, I went on a nice walk yesterday, and you all were right-i felt a little bit better after I got in from the sunshine. My workout partner is going to sign up for the gym that i just signed up for, so I hope it makes me actually go to the gym that I'm currently donating to, lol. I miss running in my mind, but I'm not sure I have enough energy to do it right now. Anyways, any little bit counts.

So thank you for the advice! i took it and it appears to be working!

Glad you have a workout partner! That makes life so much easier and exercise so much more enjoyable. Enjoying exercise is actually necessary, you'll lose more weight that way. What about an elliptical? I *hate* running, and I'd use elliptical machines at the gym for hours, where on a treadmill or track I'd get burned out and bored more quickly. It's actually a better workout IIRC.

You may be on a 1200 calorie a day diet, but give yourself a day of the week to eat something a little out of it. Cheat for a day, to reward yourself with a food you like but don't eat often. 

It's really great that you're making such a positive change to yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

"I think we need to start setting goals here"

Fuck them. They got frustrated coz they might think they are wasting their time with a road that is going nowhere.

So they suggested something?

"Big girl"

Welcome to the western world. Thinner is better right?

Probably just a jackass comment to make him feel better coz he was having a bad day.