CrazyBoards.org

I'm about to snap.

princessaurora

I just moved into a new apartment complex. I love the area, the complex, my apartment..what I do not love is my upstairs neighbors who feel it necessary to stomp, not walk, anytime they do anything in their apartment. 5:30 am I am awakened by the sound of their stomping. Its 11:37 pm right now and the stomping just stopped for the night. I try turning my tv up louder, running the air, putting in headphones, I even wore the headphones I wear to the gun range earlier to muffle the sound. It probably sounds petty, but I am really sensitive about sounds and I feel like I am going to snap.

I can't blame you for feeling like you are about to snap. They should not be stomping around at such ridiculous times. They should try to be quiet when they are awake at times like those. Can you complain to the owner of the apartments? 

I remember living under a couple who I swear moved furniture as a pastime. It went on all day. It got worse at night. On the other hand, the apartment across from us had two students in opera at Julliard, who of course had to practice relentlessly. Sometimes, they sang different songs at the same time. So, I am not sure who was more annoying.

Look at your lease, is there a "quiet time" on it? We are supposed to keep it down after 10PM. And that has been on every lease I remember signing, except for my law school dorm.

I couldn't cope. I need peace and quiet, and am very lucky where I currently live - though it's one of the reasons I chose it. Definitely speak to someone. An environment with as little stress as possible is vital when you're trying to cope with any kind of MI.

For 3 years my wife and I lived below a person who stomped around and was never taught what an inside voice was. We could actually make out his side of conversations perfectly whenever he spoke, it was horrible. It was bad for my mental health, bad for my wife's health, we couldn't sleep.

I would see if you could go upstairs and explain to them that they're probably louder than they think they are. Maybe you could buy them soft bottomed slippers to wear inside (not really but maybe suggest it to them lol). You've got the right to peace and quiet in your own home.

I am going to put forward the notion that you might get better results dealing with the neighbors directly (at least initially).  Sometimes you can simply appeal to people's good side, sometimes even in a neighborly way.  It helps to put an actual face to the issue, it can be much easier to empathize with a person than it can be with formal complaint sent from the agency that handles the properties who knows neither of you.  You are almost certain to fail in trying to force the people to be considerate, but you might be able to get them to see your problem and the pain its causing you.  

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

If it's not a music, tv, arguing loud noise issue I'm not sure what can be done. What's the landlord going to do? Tell them not to walk at certain hours? I mean you could go talk to them, but don't be surprised if they get pissed. You might want to tread carefully and don't use the word stomp. Because they might in fact not be stomping and the floor could just be crap. Are they large people? And I do totally empathize. I've lived in apartments like that. The last one before this one they had a toddler above me and all I hear during the day is little ass feet upstairs running around and bouncing things and rolling things. Luckily it was not an issue at night.

I'm a light sleeper. Ive found a white noise generator really helps in a place like an apartment. Soft foam ear plugs work as well.

Edited by quiet storm

I've lived in a high-rise for the past 8 years and I can sympathize, as I've had to deal with noise above, below and on the same floor. I've learned it's most effective to go to the tenant first (assuming you can tell who it is) as they often don't even know you can hear them. Also, if you live in a big building like mine, sometimes it's not the tenant above you, but one of their neighbours, who is making the noise. It's good to know for sure where it's coming from before going to the landlord! I once had a bitch living downstairs who started calling the cops (!) on me in the middle of the night because she thought I was making too much noise... meanwhile I was knocked out on my meds every night, my dogs crated and my cats in the bed with me. (She only lasted a few months before getting kicked out for that and other nasty habits). 

My neighbour upstairs used to make these godawful loud banging noises on the floor, like a bag of rocks being dropped, at all hours, day and night. It used to wake me up in the middle of the night, several times a night. Finally I went upstairs and politely advised them of the noise and the effect it was having. It turns out they have a big Rottweiler dog and were giving him heavy cow leg bones to chew on, and he was dropping them on the floor. At night he was kept in their bedroom, directly above mine. They agreed to take the bones away at night and only give them during the day while they were away and he was in his crate (less knocking on the floor). Problem solved! 

Another option: check your lease. Some buildings that have non-carpeted apartments specify in the lease that tenants are to install area rugs to deaden the noise. They're a bonus because not only do they keep your noise from spreading elsewhere, they absorb noise coming in and keep your apt quieter. If your neighbour doesn't have rugs that can be grounds for a complaint to the landlord. 

Other idea: Get rugs and heavy curtains, and hang tapestries or nice cloth art on your walls. You can easily make cool (and cheap!) wall hangings with dowelling, picture wire and big scarves or patterned cloths available in ethnic and secondhand shops (East Asian, African, Jamaican etc.). Even throw pillows, pillows on your couch, and throw rugs are good. All of these things help absorb noise. 

If worse comes to worst and nothing works to stop the noise, you could also try foam earplugs from a drug store. I "inherited" a big parrot (African grey) and to live with one of these guys I've had to come to terms with the fact that they do make loud piercing noises at times, whether I like it or not! My neighbours don't mind, some of them have parrots as well - I asked in advance. The earplugs are a Godsend. You can get different "strengths", most are soft enough to even sleep in.