CrazyBoards.org

Euthymia vs. lack of depression vs. Euphoria?

What do you expect from an AD? Do you expect it to make you not depressed? What I call lack of depression. Do you expect it to make you happy or in a good mood? Which is medically called euthymia (the opposite of dysthymia which is a bad mood) or do you expect it to make you euphoric? Euphoric means REALLY happy and in a really good mood aka 'high' or 'buzzed'.

When I find an AD which permits me to live and function without depression debilitating me I stick with it until it either stops working, my insurance won't pay or it, or I get adverse reactions. So my answer is lack of depression.

I've never had euthymia from any AD - that is not any AD made me a 'happy person in a good mood'. I've never had euphoria from any AD.

Sometimes in years past I expected an AD to 'make' me happy or in a good mood. For some this happens as we all are unique in our personal chemistry and such.

I myself have never expected an AD to make me "happy".  As long as it helps me function in "real life" (i.e. able to go to work, sleep somewhat on a normal schedule), that's when I know the AD is working.

I have always likened being on an anti-depressant to an elevator.  Without ADs, I have a "clear view" of the deep dark basement, whether it be anxiety or depression.  But with ADs, the elevator keeps me out of that basement - usually hovering around the 2nd or 3rd floor. 

Lastly, being on an AD has NEVER made me feel euphoric.  As a matter of fact, when people in general talk about ADs (the ones that have never been on them), they call them "happy pills".  Annoys me to no end. 

I also expect my antidepressant to help me function in daily life. Not make me happy. But give me back the ability to feel happiness. When I'm depressed, I'm either crushingly sad or numb. I can't react to happy stimuli. I know my antidepressant is working when I find the small joys in life again. Such as, noticing it's a nice day out, things along those lines. 

I have never had euphoria from an AD, but i have had euphoria from an AP, Abilify. 

After I stopped feeling euphoric from it, Abilify helped bring me back to euthymia, along with therapy. Therapy helped me re-learn how to live my life, while Abilify lifted me up enough to see out of the darkness. 

I have never expected AD's to be "happy pills." That is inaccurate. 

Edited by Parapluie

Whenever I've been given antidepressants I've only expected them to lift my depression, not make me happy. As long as they made it so I could function I was a happy camper.

I know that pills can't make a person happy, it's up to me to make myself happy. All the medication does is correct the chemical imbalance in my brain that causes me to be depressed.

I agree with the other replies. 

An ideal AD knocks out my dark, overly-pessimistic thoughts, lessens my anxiety, allows me to sleep adequately, and helps me function on a very basic level.  With an effective AD, I can experience a range of emotions and tackle some of the habits and thoughts that contribute to depression and lead me back into the Pit.  It's simply a stepping-stone toward stability.

Everything said here is important and applies to me too. I never have expected any psychiatric medication to make me happy or even cure my mental illnesses. I take them because they help me work towards being healthy and content, they give me the capability to even consider happiness as a possibility. If your ADs or SSRIs are making you euphoric then there's something going wrong there (i.e. you're an undiagnosed bipolar and need a mood stabilizer to level you out).

People who don't and have never taken psych meds have really distorted perceptions of what they're used for and what they do. There's a lot of judgment surrounding them - I most often get people saying that they knew so and so who was a totally drugged out zombie because they were on psych meds and therefore everyone who takes them is brainwashed and/or trying to ignore their problems.  <_< I'm a zombie without them.

People who don't and have never taken psych meds have really distorted perceptions of what they're used for and what they do. There's a lot of judgment surrounding them - I most often get people saying that they knew so and so who was a totally drugged out zombie because they were on psych meds and therefore everyone who takes them is brainwashed and/or trying to ignore their problems.  <_< I'm a zombie without them.

Yeah, that. I know that my meds are working when I don't even think about my mood. I just feel what, I suppose, is normal.

Euthymia means more that you are even-keeled, than overly happy. It does include a positive outlook as part of that status, according to definitions I just looked at. So, it could mean better able to feel authentic happiness, I suppose.

I think about ADs as putting a chemical floor under my depression... so that it might even still be there, but that I'm not staring into the abyss or worse, falling into it.