CrazyBoards.org

I'm 35, and not approaching menopause as far as I know, but I swear I had a hot flash last night.  I all of a sudden felt hot and a litle dizzy.  I took my temp, and it was 99.2.  I do not run hot, so my anxiety went up about that.  I put a cold, wet rag on my neck, and stood in the fresh air, and after about an hour, my temp was normal again.  I had not been exerting myself when my temp went up, had not been in a bath or shower, and the nights here are cool, so it wasn't from that.  I'm curious if anyone thinks that sounds like a hot flash?  Does that mean I am approaching menopause already, or is there another cause? 

As a veteran hot-flasher, I have two comments.  First, I agree with bookgirl that this is something you will want to discuss with your GP on your next visit.  If you don't get any more, it might not even be a concern by the time you see a doctor.

My second comment is that my hot flashes don't last that long.  I have never taken my temperature, so I have no idea if it is elevated when one occurs.   However, it doesn't last an hour.  I think they last 5-10 minutes at most, although during that time I can perspire so much that my hair gets wet and my clothing becomes damp.

Menopause is not the only thing that can cause people to flush and feel hot.  Stress and anxiety can do it, as can taking big doses of Niacin.  Certain meds can cause it.  I imagine that a woman your age could have a sudden hormonal fluctuation---maybe you ovulated, or something else happened to trigger the heat.

My husband, who is old and always cold, had a hot flash of some sort last night.  We were just sitting in the living room and he said it was as if someone turned up the heat.  I adjusted my fan to the oscillating function so he could cool off. :lol:

Since you suffer from anxiety, I wouldn't worry too much about this.  Anxiety can make you throw up, give you chest pains, and lots of other lovely symptoms.  Unless it is repeated, I doubt that it is anything to worry about.

olga

koakua, there are lots of women who start experiencing "peri-menopause" in their mid to late 30s.  It's not unusual, as a matter of fact.  That's why if this continues, the OP should definitely see her doctor.  If it was a one-shot deal, it probably wasn't anything too serious.

olga

I'm with Olga on this, hot flashes, although intense, are over in a matter of minutes.

Since your temperature was a bit elevated and you felt dizzy, maybe you had some sort of minor bug / virus that didn't cause any other symptoms. That happens to me sometimes, I'll feel almost sick, but not quite, and then the next day I'm back to normal.

I also suspect that you would start noticing differences in your periods before your hormones would be out of whack enough to give you hot flashes. But I'm not a doctor, so my advice is worth what you've paid for it! :)