CrazyBoards.org

Do Nightmares Mean MI?

When I was younger, ages 5-20 something I would have terrible nightmares. Wake up screaming and terrified, lots of demon possession.

Well now the demon possession dreams are back again in my 40's. I don't know what to do and its really, really bothering me terribly.

I don't know if its because of abuse I suffered as a child, some I remember some maybe is suppressed, or if its some form of MI unveiling itself.

Any ideas or input are greatly appreciated. I am planning on calling my counselor on Mon fyi.

ps, I was recently diagnosed with sleep hypopnea

If you have a religious path and are having nightmares of demon possession could you try praying?  Maybe praying before going to sleep?  If you don't have a religious path maybe thinking of really good and happy things before going to sleep? 

I generally think that nightmares signal a psychological problem more often than a physiological one, but that's probably not 100% true. They can be a clue that something in your environment is worrisome or that you have unresolved prior issues. I'd see a therapist if you can.

I generally think that nightmares signal a psychological problem more often than a physiological one, but that's probably not 100% true. They can be a clue that something in your environment is worrisome or that you have unresolved prior issues. I'd see a therapist if you can.

Good thinking! Im going in to see my p-nurse this Thurs

I had nightmares/night terrors when I was a teen up until 30 when I started seroquel. (Teen years I wasn't taking any medications).

I was very religious in my teen years and I would pray pray pray that God would not allow "them" - demons or satan to get me.

When I did have a night terror I never remember what I was dreaming beforehand but it would seem that there was a huge piece of brown paper. I couldn't go past it. I couldn't get away. The only out was screaming. Which would then end up waking up everyone in the house.

In college it continued but not as frequent.

When I was living with my ex-h it happened here or there. He knew about it before I moved in. At the time he was a Christian but it really spooked him out that I was doing all this whispering to God before bed. 

At the end of our marriage the terror dreams were either a black sheet I couldn't pass or steel bars (like a prison). The only way I could get out was to yell "mom." ex-h always questioned me about why now was I screaming for my mom. It took me a while to figure it out. In those terror moments I had no choice. I couldn't scream ex-h's name or any of the little pet names we had for each other, only my mom.

What stopped it was seroquel. I don't think I've had a night terror since. And I've been off seroquel for 5 yrs and it hasn't come back.

I hope you and your p-nurse are able to come to some ideas about why this might be happening. I know it sucks and the nightmare/terror can make it seem like the whole day is a failure.

May you have very peaceful sleep.

db

It's a internal thing....I have had nothing but gory and bloody dreams. It could be demons but no facts saying it is. I have looked at it thru every angle and since i can't figure it out. I just have to accept that I'm going to have a nightmare no matter how bad I just want to sleep with no dreams...I thought at one time that if I fear I'm going to have a nightmare, then most likely I will have one but that's not the case.....Usually it's just a growth thing and it's making me into someone who can help someone like you with coping.

sorry to hear sonicwhite...I cant imagine only having nightmares. Nightime is a struggle and keeping busy all day long is a way to keep the 'demons" at bay, however they always make it out whenever I have a moment alone.

Thank you for helping me cope xo