CrazyBoards.org

Abilify.....LOVE it or HATE it? Tell me why.

I'm starting on 10 mg on Monday (is that a high dose for general mood stabilization, my pdoc let me pick how much I wanted), but now I'm a little worried since all I seem to hear is how horrible it was for people...saying it made them restless and what not....I know the facts, I've read a lot of RX information, but I'm more interested in personal experiences...whether it triggered mania/hypomania, how it affected your health, and so on........

I'm BP 1........if that makes any difference to you.

Edited by Forbidden91

Abilify, in combination with Pristiq, really helped my depression for awhile. Then it stopped working.

My dr.s say that it is probably the main reason I developed diabetes. I was on it for a really long time.

ETA: I didn't really have any side effects. Except for the whole diabetes thing... <_<

Edited by Dusk

Meh. I was one of the people that felt sedated. At the time, p-doc was treating anxiety. I was also depressed. Started off on 2.5 mg (he did that with EVERY med I tried though, I am super sensitive and wussy when it comes to side effects, so this wasn't new, also I wasn't officially BP at the time either) I slept really well. I felt FINE within three effing days. It was FAST.

Things happened, I did fine until 10mg then started gaining a bit of weight. Went up to 15 and within a year and a half after THAT increase, I'd gained a total of like, 45 pounds, or something. I'm a person that does NOT deal with that, so I dropped it and was manic shortly after, unfortunately.

Other than that? I FREAKING LOVED THAT PILL! That was a miracle pill for me. Anxiety, depression gone, wasn't manic, nothing. I hap blips rarely on that. Good, solid pill all around for me if it had NOT made me gain so much weight. Wish it didn't. And it doesn't make everyone gain that kind of weight at all, it's SUPPOSED to be rather weight-neutral. So there's that. I was just constantly hungry and didn't want to control myself.

That shit took care of EVERYTHING for me. BUT it did not take away the misery of weight gain for me. That's one thing I refuse to deal with simply because I feel worse because of that than anything else. Wish it hadn't done that :(

I hope it works well for you. I loved that pill.

We'll see how Monday goes. Your two replies really helped me, but also concerned me of the metabolic side effects. I was looking through YouTube and found this hilarious video parody of Abilify: 

Don't watch if you are sensitive....or easily annoyed.

Abilify was great for my depression, but it did make me want to eat everything in sight.  I started at 1 mg and titrated up to 10 mg very slowly to avoid akathisia.  If I didn't already have issues with binge eating, then I would have stayed on it. 

Simply put, it was one of the best drugs for my mood that I have ever taken, and I will return to it if/when I fall back into a bad episode.

LOVE(D) LOVE(D) LOVE(D)

15 mg was my magic dose, took care of hallucinations and all sorts of shennanigans, no side effects at first except for some sleeplessness, but that passed quickly, and constipation, especially if I jumped right up to 15 mg (which I did a couple times. It was that, or I would have killed myself as planned. The quick relief and Abilify provided me literally (yes, I mean literally) saved my life a couple times).

I said "loved" because about a year of solid daily use I developed a tremor in my tongue and had to stop using it. I moved on to risperdal (again), SEs were too much, now haldol.

I hope the Abilify helps you!

Edited by forgetmenot220

Love it. It saved me from a terribly long hospitalization. I have been on and off it (mostly on it) since maybe 2006? No side effects, no problems, no sedation, no weight gain, etc. 30mg seems to be my sweet spot, but I have been on 40mg even for a while. I think I originally started on 10mg too and built up from there.

If I could only have one aap and I had to choose, I would stick with abilify. As much as I love seroquel for lots of things, abilify has been my standby for much longer.

I really hope that abilify is great for you too! Keep us posted!

When I was in a hospitalization program I was put on it for schizophrenia.  For me it did not help at all but I did meet people who loved it and who really improved dramatically on it (they had bipolar and depression).  

Hope it works for you and good luck

HATE IT.

First time: Was a complete sugar pill.

Second time:.Had nasty akathisia after 2 days, then ended up in hospital coz it did NOT work for my psychoses. It took 7 days after stopping it for the akathisia to disappear.

What I heard about abilify: Weight gain to Zyprexa is like restlessness to Abilify...

Edited by heavendj4

I had been under a low dose (2.5mg) of Abilify for almost two years. The results are, I must say, quite good. Not MARVELOUSLY good, but good nevertheless. My imore paranoid obsessions are fortunately cut off. There are still some obsessions lurking around the corner, but well, no med is perfect I guess. At least they are somewhat normal obsessions and not entirely crazy ones.

And I did not have any side effects that I was aware of. My appetite has not changed, nor my weight. And I was fortunate enough that akathisia was not an issue for me.

Abilify did not help my Bipolar symptoms at all. In fact it made it worse. I developed akathisia, insomnia and severe anxiety. However there are many people who do well on it so it's worth giving it a shot....Hope it works for you!

I took it for several years. I wasn't thrilled with it but it also wasn't the worst med I'd ever taken. It doesn't hit you the way that some meds do. It wasn't until I'd been on it about a week or more before I realized that, hey, I'm feeling better. Unlike Seroquel and Zyprexa, which hit me hard shortly after taking them. 

The 10mg dose you're starting on will give you plenty of room to increase should you need to. I hope it works for you.