CrazyBoards.org

How to deal with depression and racing thoughts affected by... weather?

This summer has been rainy as hell. I can't remember a summer so rainy, and it's uncharacteristic of where I live to have two weeks of overcast skies and/or thunderstorms with maybe a 3 or 4 hours of sunshine out of those two weeks. So much rain... 

The first week or so of it was fine; I don't mind that many thunderstorms or rainy days as long as there's a break or something. After that though I found that it was impacting my mood a bit and it's become worse from there. I seem to feel drained of energy and withdrawn, and that a lot of things are slowly becoming very boring. I still have my constant racing thoughts though through all of this, which is (not) fun.  :closedeyes: 

I'm leaving town in around a couple of weeks, but the forecast doesn't look like it'll change much between now and then except maybe a couple of sunny days. But I feel like if I'm here in this weather for even 48 more hours I just may go absolutely fucking crazy.

Ha.

So, anyone have any advice on how to deal with this sort of situation? I'm missing my tdoc session next week because I'm getting allergy testing done. I'm just starting to feel really horrible. 

Yep, those are the ones. I find them somewhat beneficial during depressive swings, and also use it in the fall and winter when I tend to start getting depressed. I don't tend to use it when I'm not in or heading toward depression, though, as it can make me feel a little speedy when my mood is normal. Some people with bipolar can even go manic from using one, I've read. So use caution if you ever decide to try one.

Ugh, I am the queen of this, hence my screen name.

Our spring here was unusually gray and snowy, for longer than usual, leading to a nasty mixed state and finally uncovering my Dx... so while I have always known that I have these symptoms, helping myself is kind of new to me.

Let me think on it and get back to you.

Off the top of my head, maybe have your pdoc increase the one of your meds?  Whichever stabilizes you the most?  For me, generic Seroquel is it, but because the gray weather makes me more tired I'd just be offsetting it with extra coffee and exercise.  I know when you feel like that, it's hell to get your ass to do anything, but exercise helps me immensely.  It energizes me but gets all that icky mixed stuff to settle down.

My children are currently going ape, so I will have to come back to this.  :)

Yep, those are the ones. I find them somewhat beneficial during depressive swings, and also use it in the fall and winter when I tend to start getting depressed. I don't tend to use it when I'm not in or heading toward depression, though, as it can make me feel a little speedy when my mood is normal. Some people with bipolar can even go manic from using one, I've read. So use caution if you ever decide to try one.

Thanks, meant to ask pdoc yesterday but forgot. I did remember to tell him about the weather negatively affecting my mood, though, and he made note of it. My grandmother actually has one but I'll consult my pdoc if I ever want to try it.