CrazyBoards.org

Too young for tourettes (My childhood and current self)?

I have EVERY symptom of tourettes. But... when I was little I went to the doctors and I was just a toddler and they said I was too young for tourettes so they diagnosed it stereo typies. Does that mean I don't have tourettes NOW? My mom will be making a doctors appointment for when she comes back from her business trip to see what they think. Why is it that there's age where you can't have tourettes?

Well, I did a little bit of research and it seems that you may have simply been too young for the doctor to tell if you had TS. The average age of onset is apparently 3-9 years old. Were you younger than 3?

According to my research, most people with TS are not impacted by their tics very much, and most cases of TS are mild. Are you greatly impacted by your TS-like behaviours? Do they cause social/occupational dysfunction? If so, you need to see a doctor. 

Would a diagnosis of TS mean something to you? I know some people find a diagnosis to be validating of their experiences.

My questions are mainly questions for you to think about, not necessarily answer. 

Here is a link to a fact sheet about TS where I got my info, http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tourette/detail_tourette.htm

I also read the Wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette_syndrome

Edited by Parapluie

Well, I did a little bit of research and it seems that you may have simply been too young for the doctor to tell if you had TS. The average age of onset is apparently 3-9 years old. Were you younger than 3?

According to my research, most people with TS are not impacted by their tics very much, and most cases of TS are mild. Are you greatly impacted by your TS-like behaviours? Do they cause social/occupational dysfunction? If so, you need to see a doctor. 

Would a diagnosis of TS mean something to you? I know some people find a diagnosis to be validating of their experiences.

My questions are mainly questions for you to think about, not necessarily answer. 

Here is a link to a fact sheet about TS where I got my info, http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tourette/detail_tourette.htm

Thanks so much! :) I don't know how old I was. I was probably about 3. Am I impacted? It's embarrassing sometimes and one time a girl thought I was going to beat her up because I was mad at her and my hands and arms were all twitchy. It was the twitching that made her think that. I wasn't even that mad. I was actually hurt not mad. That's when I realized there was something wrong. I guess I just want the diagnosis so I have explanation for whats up with me. So I don't feel so bad about it. 

Thanks so much! :) I don't know how old I was. I was probably about 3. Am I impacted? It's embarrassing sometimes and one time a girl thought I was going to beat her up because I was mad at her and my hands and arms were all twitchy. It was the twitching that made her think that. I wasn't even that mad. I was actually hurt not mad. That's when I realized there was something wrong. I guess I just want the diagnosis so I have explanation for whats up with me. So I don't feel so bad about it. 

You're very welcome. :)

That makes sense that you want a diagnosis so that you feel you have an explanation. A lot of people want that.

Weren't you just asking if you were having seizures? Are you searching the internet for diagnoses? Because while that is understandable, it is a really bad idea. You need to see a doctor.

Actually that was completely unrelated lol. I thought while I was at it I would look for what was causing the scary feeling. Till I realized I was off my meds for 3 days. Oops. 

Bipolar_flower,

When you have several diagnoses as well as on several different medications, your side affects of the meds & the symptoms that weren't treated by the meds can look & feel like other problems. When reality, it is the side affects & your diagnosed disorders. 

This is coming from a girl with the crazees for over 15 years & was on 5 to 7 medications at a time.

Words of the wise: be careful what you read/research. Trusting a doctors education & experience is very important. Granted, we who know ourselves know best. However as a fellow crazee, you can get carried away with finding answers (to where you misdiagnose & doctor shop). It doesn't always happen, however it is something to be careful of. Because the ending product will be much more harmful than helpful.

With my best intentions,

Gibson

ETA directed towards OP

Edited by Gibson