CrazyBoards.org

I'm changing from Seroquel XR, what are peoples expirences with the old anti psychotics? I've tried other new ones but they aren't working for me, so i've been wondering about the old ones. Any opinions on them would be great!

I much prefer the older antipsychotics to the newer AAPs. For me, they work and they have far fewer side effects. Perphenazine works very well for me. So do Navane and Mellaril. I'd rather not take Haldol or Thorazine again because those did cause side effects for me. I was also on a huge dose so that's more than likely why I had the side effects on these two meds.  

AAP's have not worked for me, most of them give me too many side effects that I just cannot handle. But when I went IP, my psych there put me on Thorazine and it has worked really well. I haven't tried any of the other old ones. As for side effects, I haven't really had any, 

All I can remember: I had to take more cogentin than I did haloperidol. Also I would mumble everything.

Melleril was discontinued at least where I live.

Also I do NOT like this "Glorifying" of typical antipsychotics on the internet. They have been around for over half a century and have a risk of TD at 5% per year. TD is almost inevitable IF taken long enough..

Typicals work by "Blocking everything". They only work on dopamine.

Atypicals are a lot more "Selective" at what receptors are blocked. They work on dopamine AND serotonin.

Go figure which is more effective.

Edited by heavendj4

All I can remember: I had to take more cogentin than I did haloperidol. Also I would mumble everything.

Also I do NOT like this "Glorifying" of typical antipsychotics on the internet. They have been around for over half a century and have a risk of TD at 5% per year. TD is almost inevitable IF taken long enough..

Atypicals are a lot more "Selective" at what receptors are blocked. They work on dopamine AND serotonin.

Where did you get that information from?

I'm so sorry that you don't like the fact that typicals have fewer side effects for some people. Not everyone is the same. Thank goodness. You seem to have a real issue with sweeping generalities.

You probably don't like that I take amitriptyline either. You know, since it's been around for 50 years or so. Sometimes meds are around for so long because they work.

Please provide citations for your claims.

I had some really obnoxious sedation, weight gain, and some other things from Mellaril when I was prescribed it during my very first bout of crayzee.

But then again, I also had some really obnoxious weight gain, cognitive dulling, and sedation from slurroquel.

Go fig.

Typicals may be much more likely to cause TD than atypicals, but then atypicals are much more likely to cause metabolic syndrome or diabetes. Neither option is risk free. Also with AAPs being newer, the extent to which they cause the problems they do is probably not yet fully known.

Typicals may be much more likely to cause TD than atypicals, but then atypicals are much more likely to cause metabolic syndrome or diabetes. Neither option is risk free. Also with AAPs being newer, the extent to which they cause the problems they do is probably not yet fully known.

Occurence of TD goes down as you go down in dosage (exponentially) and also as you take a milder typical. So be conservative and it should be fine. I personally find them very effective.

Both are true. We are going around in circles, this has been repeated over and over(on these boards) to point where we know more about TD than the doctors do.

Again can we PLZ put a PINNED THREAD about TD?? There we can finally put this to rest?

Edited by heavendj4

Haldol has been really awesome so far. I'm only on 0.5 mg and have no side effects other than some mild GI upset.

I think typicals can be just as good as atypicals in some cases. Navane was a disaster for me but abilify caused a tremor in my tongue after a year of use.

well, i don't like this "villifying" on the internet of a group of medications that is by far the most helpful of all those i've tried.

you might not do well on typical antipsychotics.  fair enough. clozaril was the devil for me though and most atypicals sucked big time for me.  so there's no one size fits all.

don't disparage an entire group that saves people's lives and the whole "selectivity" thing...i wanna see sources because that sounds like bullshit to me.

to the thread starter: i have found typical antipsychotics far better for me without the really horrendous side effects of some atypicals for me (orthostatic hypotension, seizures and i didn't crap more than once a week...plus, one made me far more, despite research indicating the opposite for most, suicidal). i would give them a try if your symptom presentation indicates they'd possibly be effective.  best of luck to you. x

I much prefer the older antipsychotics to the newer AAPs. For me, they work and they have far fewer side effects. Perphenazine works very well for me. So do Navane and Mellaril. I'd rather not take Haldol or Thorazine again because those did cause side effects for me. I was also on a huge dose so that's more than likely why I had the side effects on these two meds.  

This post reminds me of listening to my father in the 70s. Seeing all those APs listed together.

Wow. And we usually support characterizations of meds or their mechanisms with evidence from a peer-reviewed source.

Typicals block a lot more in the striatum than in the limbic system, thats why they are less effective for some people and why they exhibit 2 key side effects:

1. TD

2. Reduced brain volume over prolonged exposure

And thats why they are typicals.