CrazyBoards.org

Did I just have a seizure? what's it like?

I felt this wave of sensation come over my body and I felt suddenly light on my feet. I almost fell because I got a little disoriented. I felt this anxious feeling in my chest. It was a scary feeling. I keep trying to research what these are. They started 2 months ago. They are not a constant feeling and they happen like 1-2 times a week. Is this a type of seizure? What's a seizure like? Should I seek help seizure or not seizure? 

P.S. Pardon my ignorance. I don't understand seizures. My dad had them when he was a kid but he's sleeping right now so I can't ask him. 

Also I used to suddenly get dizzy, fall (Like for real fall), and have the same sensation only a little different and my vision would blur and I'd become unresponsive. I have not done this in a while but I was wondering if that's a seizure. Is it? 

And a few times as a little kid I remember blanking out and suddenly gain back consciousness and I had wandered away from school. Is that a seizure?

Also once I went blind for a short time. Everything was white. And felt vibrations through out my body. I would like to add though I was anorexic then and had overdosed on this yucky laxative tea (It was called Cali Girl Dieters tea or something). Would this be a seizure?

I just want to know if they were or not. 

Edited by Bipolar_Flower

I don't have seizures, my husband does. He doesn't know what seizures feel like, because he loses consciousness. He is only aware of the aftermath.

There are so many different kinds of seizures, you can't really say "this is how a seizure feels." Seizures can be smells, blanking out, sounds, odd feelings, I have heard of so many different kinds. If you are concerned about it, you need to go see a gdoc. It is absolutely impossible for us to know whether you had a seizure.

Ditto.  Luckily for me (I work in a doctor's office), I happened to have a seizure while a doctor was in a room with me.  It was nice to read her notes afterward.

Oddly enough, despite my seizures, my EEG is 'normal', or at least doesn't show spikes or other abnormalities.  But these EEG's last 10-20 minutes, so sometimes it's impossible to capture.

You guys seemed to have missed a post. I said I realized I haven't take my pills in 3 days and I'm just having withdrawal. I need to take them tonight. I also said I still wanted to hear about what's it's like to have a seizure (As I've never fully understood). I know these aren't seizures. My childhood ones who knows what they were and I honestly don't care as they don't affect me now-the one I just had was just withdrawal. It was a scary feeling.

Edited by Bipolar_Flower

There are so many different kinds of seizures, you can't really say "this is how a seizure feels." Seizures can be smells, blanking out, sounds, odd feelings, I have heard of so many different kinds. If you are concerned about it, you need to go see a gdoc. It is absolutely impossible for us to know whether you had a seizure.

I think you missed this post.

You guys seemed to have missed a post. I said I realized I haven't take my pills in 3 days and I'm just having withdrawal. I need to take them tonight. I also said I still wanted to hear about what's it's like to have a seizure (As I've never fully understood). I know these aren't seizures. My childhood ones who knows what they were and I honestly don't care as they don't affect me now-the one I just had was just withdrawal. It was a scary feeling.

This could have been worded better if you didn't mean to be rude. Because that is how it comes across.

Plus, this thread is not yours alone: other members learn things when they read it. So we like to give as complete answers as we can.

This could have been worded better if you didn't mean to be rude. Because that is how it comes across.

Plus, this thread is not yours alone: other members learn things when they read it. So we like to give as complete answers as we can.

Oh I'm really sorry I wasn't trying to be rude. I didn't mean for it to be.

I just remembered.... I haven't taken my meds in 3 days. D: Oops. This is probably withdrawal. Oh well I'd still like to hear what it feels like to have a seizure. 

I'm not sure but I "think" I have had some mini seizures.  I take a really unreal high dose of bupropion and its like I can't string a thought together without it zapping me (Like a BANG-Forget) or BANG-I'm Lost feeling.  I've dialed down a little bit and its weird to be able to think a little more complicated thoughts without these brain resets.  The bad thing is it bring me back to Depressed HAL.  *Not sure on that.   I'm a little bit un selfaware of my depression.   I'm a tad more clued in since I got a DX.   Pretty obvious - sitting alone *Avoiding people.  Difficulty getting anything done (Like getting out of bed) or opening mail.  

When I went off Celexa (A SSRI like Lexapro) I had some "brain sparks"   A little bit like these Bupropion mini seizures but worse.  And really uncomfortable btw.   The Mini Seizures (If thats what they are) are not bad - just really :wall:  annoying.  Like 6 times 6 is ????   Now its 6 times 6 is 36 (I think)  :P

What I wanted to say is talk to your doctor right away about this.   It might be a sign of serious stuff like a stroke.  If you don't catch that in time you could be really screwed. 

• 1 year later...

Well what can I say.  I have had 2 clonic tonic seizures (both in the same day) about 3 months ago.

In terms of the experience, I had a shower, dried off, went to the bedroom to change, and as I was putting my shoes on it just kicked in.  My wife rushed into the room and found me lying back, flailing my arms and legs, with a distinctive stiffening of my neck and mouth.  I was biting my tongue quite badly.  I was also choking, I went purple due to lack of oxygen.

veent

My wife called the 000 emergency number for an ambulance. They arrived quckly and helped me into the ambulance.

Anyway, after 7 hrs in ER i was made an inpatient in the high needs area.  I had my own room fortunately.

THey ran a battery of tests including an mri, ct-scan, eeg, bloodwork etc.  No abnormalalties really.  THe first night in hospital I had another seizure.  A big one. 

The neurologists put me on keppra and I havent had any nerological problems since (touch wood). 

I think the diagnosis of epilepsy is only made when there have been several seizures and no alternate explanation.  I will see my neurologist in a few months for an uodate.

Thriughout both my aeiures I lost consciouness completely and can only remermber bits and pieces of the experience.  Very frightening as a whole.  About 30 minutes of downtime for each seizure.  I didnt know my own name or home my wife was etc.

Edited by chimpmaster

It is hard to say because seizures can feel very different.

You need to get it checked out.

Beyond that, I can say that I have had issues with orthostatic hypotension, and experienced one seizure.

My OH made me feel dizzy, lose my vision (it was a dark wall coming in from my periphery until I could see a pinpoint of light, but not make out any objects), and at least once, I wasn't able to form words.  That started in elementary and lasted until my early 20's.  Over time, the blood shifted from draining from my vision center to my ears (which is the balance center - so my vision was fuzzy instead, but I couldn't stay upright).  

After 22 or so, it stopped on it's own, but medication would trigger it.  Most of it was mild... but Amytriptyline in particular would do it and make me collapse.  In that case, it would only happen after getting up from sleep and my heart would race/chest hurt until things settled.  (That part has something to do with the way a TCA acts on the heart - according to a doc who wasn't specific)

I never lost time due to OH.

--

My seizure I experienced was due to being too sick to keep my 400mg Lamictal down.  I missed my day dose and went to bed.  In the middle of the night, I started smelling sweet burnt plastic so much it woke me up.  When I woke, I noticed my body was feeling hot and numb in parts... like if you divided your body in 6 parts... one was numb, one was hot, the rest was normal... and every 5 seconds both would "move" to a new section.

As best as I can figure it was a simple partial seizure, and I realized (and managed to chew up and keep down 200mg of Lamictal) before anything worse happened.

The "seizure" itself (as I figure by body sensations) only lasted about 15mins.  The smell lasted until I got the med in me, passed out, and woke up feeling ok again.

I didn't lose time there either... but that was a simple seizure with no fugue state based on med withdrawal.

I can't say what happened to you and if it was a seizure.  I can however say that Topamax is an anti-seizure med.  So, although your Lamictal isn't high enough to cause a seizure by not taking it alone, skipping both could be.  But I'm not a doc - you need to ask them.

I can say that this: "blanking out and suddenly gain back consciousness and I had wandered away from school"  That's not normal.  You need to get to the bottom of it.

Assuming it was just missing your meds would be an error.

• 1 year later...

Hi my name is Abigail. From the sounds of what you're describing, it really sounds like you possibly had a seizure. You may want to talk to your dad about it also. I know personally because I've been having seizures since I was a little girl. If he thinks you're having one, go see a neurologist or an epileptologist. Hope all works out well for you. :) 

Also, here's a link about different types of seizures if you're interested. http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/types-of-seizures-their-symptoms

Edited by AbigailGrace

• 3 months later...

fer shure see a doc. preferably an Epi. doc. trust me, if i hadn't had a "grand mal" in my doc's brightly lit exam rm. (i was there for a simple blood draw to see if i had inherited my (now late) mom's diabetes cuz i had been feeling like crap) i would never, ever had done anything about the weirdness i had been experiencing.

you can't ignore it. see a doc. if you have Epi., you NEED to know. it truly sucks, but the alternative of not knowing is dangerous. and stop blowing off those other meds, young lady.

Hello dumdum! You are of course more than welcome to reply to any topic on the board. Just be aware that this thread is almost 3 years old and the original poster hasn't been on since, so she may not get your reply.