CrazyBoards.org

New EEG tomorrow...

Hi all!

Tomorrow I'm going in for a new eeg. A sleep deprived one. Never tried that before, so I'm not sure what to expect. Hope they can either eliminate or confirm that there is epileptic activity besides what they have seen on a regular eeg.

The reason for this is that I'm experiencing "spells" (for a lack of a better term) that cases my anxiety to go haywire. If those spells are just anxiety, that's fine, off course. But if there is additional epileptic activity, that needs to be taken care of.

But now I'm just looking forward to going to bed to sleep after the eeg tomorrow. It is only ten past eleven at night (in Oslo, Norway), and I'm already longing for my bed. The Tegretol and valium doesn't actually help me stay awake either. And NO coffee...? They have written that in capital letters with a lot of yellow marker on top! NO COFEE! (Bastards!)

Any good ideas on how to stay awake! Besides drinking a lot of espresso.

H.

Hi all!

Tomorrow I'm going in for a new eeg. A sleep deprived one. Never tried that before, so I'm not sure what to expect. Hope they can either eliminate or confirm that there is epileptic activity besides what they have seen on a regular eeg.

The reason for this is that I'm experiencing "spells" (for a lack of a better term) that cases my anxiety to go haywire. If those spells are just anxiety, that's fine, off course. But if there is additional epileptic activity, that needs to be taken care of.

But now I'm just looking forward to going to bed to sleep after the eeg tomorrow. It is only ten past eleven at night (in Oslo, Norway), and I'm already longing for my bed. The Tegretol and valium doesn't actually help me stay awake either. And NO coffee...? They have written that in capital letters with a lot of yellow marker on top! NO COFEE! (Bastards!)

H.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, watching TV is always fun..haha. All my EEG's are sleep deprived, fun fun...and I hate it too, cuz all my seizures happen if I dont sleep! Word search puzzles? Any friends who stay up real late???

As far as what to expect on a sleep deprived EEG, they will obviously try to keep you up all night...then when you get there, they will put all the crap on your head, then they will have fall asleep. Then they will wake you up (probably to see if there is any epileptic activity upon awakening, is my guess)...and then they run your normal battery of tests, breathing, lights...blah...sounds fun?

Hope this helps. Ive been through plenty of em, they arent that bad...dont worry, and yeah...no coffee...and yes, that does suck.

If you have major problems trying to stay awake, my advice would be to get out of your residence. Go somewhere. Wander the streets if there are no all night cafe's where you are. Someplace that might be stimulating. If you find it difficult to stay awake, reading and TV and music probably wouldn't help. Don't know if you drive. If so, maybe go for a drive if you wouldn't fall asleep at the wheel.

My problem is just the opposite! Rarely a problem staying awake if I want to. Often even when I don't want to.

I sort of guessed that they would want to keep me there for a while since the same letter that denied me coffee ordered me to eat a good breakfast.

All of my friends are of the boring kind, you know the ones that want to get 8 hours of sleep before getting up for job. My flat-mate even suggested I make him breakfast in the morning since I would be up anyway. The nerve!

My seizure frequency is rather low, and I haven't had a full-on GTK since March. Knock on wood! :) So I'm not to worried about seizures. But I expect my anxiety will act up, since it tends to react badly to me getting little or poor sleep. And more valium might make it even harder to stay awake. ;)

Have both TV and Playstation in mind. And a timer going off every 30 minutes just in case...

H.

Hi all!

H.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You took the words out of my mouth...I came on here to ask about the EEG, sleep deprived.  Since lamictal is not working for my seizures on 500mg the doc doesnt want to add more medicine until I have this eeg done in the hospital.  My question is:  Do you have to stop taking meds before you start this type of eeg?  When does one have to stay up, a day before the eeg and then go to the hospital?  I dont have doc appointment for 2 weeks and I really am scared about this.

Help anyone??

dollface

dollface -

usually, in my experience, they don't take you off meds for an EEG, because stopping your meds suddenly could cause all sorts of New Exciting Fun Seizures that would reflect not what's actually happening in your brain but withdrawl from the meds. people who've never even had seizures before can get them after stopping AC meds suddenly.

some EEGs are sleep-deprived and some aren't, and it all depends on what they're looking for and what sort of EEG they want to run. sometimes they'll want you to have a normal night's sleep, or just a few hours less than usual, or no sleep just for that night prior, or no sleep for a few days, even... it all varies. if there's anything special they want you to do in preparation, they'll tell you beforehand though, promise. probably on a helpful little sheet that outlines everything you need to do. if it worries you, i'd suggest calling the doc and asking what you'll need to do in prep.

so no worries! and anyway, sleep-dep EEGs are nice. it's the only time you'll ever be congratulated for taking a nap in your life...

Hope your EEG went well :) I've had sleep deprived EEGs before, it's really the same thing as an awake one except they expect you to sleep through it. I haven't once actually slept during one ;) The table-bed-thingy is just too uncomfortable, and I can't sleep laying on my back anyway. So the neurologist has just given up on trying to give me those types of EEGs. I hope yours went better then all mine did!

dollface -

usually, in my experience, they don't take you off meds for an EEG, because stopping your meds suddenly could cause all sorts of New Exciting Fun Seizures that would reflect not what's actually happening in your brain but withdrawl from the meds. people who've never even had seizures before can get them after stopping AC meds suddenly.

some EEGs are sleep-deprived and some aren't, and it all depends on what they're looking for and what sort of EEG they want to run. sometimes they'll want you to have a normal night's sleep, or just a few hours less than usual, or no sleep just for that night prior, or no sleep for a few days, even... it all varies. if there's anything special they want you to do in preparation, they'll tell you beforehand though, promise. probably on a helpful little sheet that outlines everything you need to do. if it worries you, i'd suggest calling the doc and asking what you'll need to do in prep.

so no worries! and anyway, sleep-dep EEGs are nice. it's the only time you'll ever be congratulated for taking a nap in your life...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the information.  Now  I can go to the doc and actually schedule this eeg (I have put it off for months).  When I finally get it done I will let you know :-)

Hi again!

The EEG in itself went rather well. I fell asleep twice, did the flashing lights and breathing, and was done in about an hour. After that I was dead tired, so I went home. Felt the calling from my bed from 45 minutes away...

My anxiety was starting to sky-rocket so I took a Valium and a Stilnoct to make sure I got to sleep. Getting under the covers was soooo nice... Can't even remember my head hitting the pillow before I was out cold. Slept like a log for 5 hour! Got up to eat and watch some TV, and went back to bed for another 12 hours...

Today has not been too good as my anxiety is still a bit stronger than usual, most likely due to too little sleep over the last couple of days. Has experienced it before, so I know it will be better in a day or two.

Will get the results from the eeg in a week or so, so until then...

Take care!

H.

Hi again!

The EEG in itself went rather well. I fell asleep twice, did the flashing lights and breathing, and was done in about an hour. After that I was dead tired, so I went home. Felt the calling from my bed from 45 minutes away...

My anxiety was starting to sky-rocket so I took a Valium and a Stilnoct to make sure I got to sleep. Getting under the covers was soooo nice... Can't even remember my head hitting the pillow before I was out cold. Slept like a log for 5 hour! Got up to eat and watch some TV, and went back to bed for another 12 hours...

Today has not been too good as my anxiety is still a bit stronger than usual, most likely due to too little sleep over the last couple of days. Has experienced it before, so I know it will be better in a day or two.

Will get the results from the eeg in a week or so, so until then...

Take care!

H.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry about your anxiety, hope that calms itself....hope you find out some results from that EEG...

the lights are the part that always annoy me the most, oh... and when they wake me up...I am grumpy when awaken...I just want to tell them to leave me alone (only not that nice, haha)...keep us updated!...Lisa

Archived