CrazyBoards.org

Author Takes Adderall Illegally

Okay, this article makes me really ticked off. We all know how hard adderall is to get/maintain (as in, you have to physically pick up the written scripts every week, etc). Not to mention that it's illegal to take without a written prescription for you. Yet that's exactly what this author does. And she gets "frustrated" with how few people give her the drug-oh, jeeze, I don't know why they don't give you the drug, perhaps because it's illegal? 

Anyway, this article is about her experience trying adderall for a whole week... to see what it how would affect her taking it when she didn't have ADHD.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/adderall-adhd-boomers-millennials/4/

Does this make anyone else in the least bit irritated? 

Edited by writeandshiny

"The baby boomers are slowing down while the millennials are speeding up. Maybe what the boomers need is ADHD medication."

OMG I'm pissed! I had every intention of reading the whole article until I read the first line and I couldn't go on because I would just get too angry!

Yeah, maybe a bunch of baby boomers w/o ADHD need ADHD meds. Yeah, that's really a good idea. Oh and while we are at it, let's give non-diabetics extra insulin. That should turn out well too.

Abusing meds is not cool. Abusing drugs is bad kids, mmkay?

I'm surprised they would even publish this article. Shame on them! They are sensationalizing drug abuse. Is the author really that stupid to take a med illegally that she does not need at all? I guess so!

I just read some of the comments and they are equally sickening. Most people are like, "Never put your child on mind altering drugs!" OK, where did you go to medical school?

Asking your kids to score drugs for you illegally? Not cool.  There was another article I read where the author wrote about his experiences with different psychotropics he didn't need, but I don't remember much about it. Just why? It minimizes how it helps people that do need Adderall. and might entice others to try it illegally.

I can't believe she announced she wanted to score Adderall in a staff meeting at work without getting fired.

I don't have ADHD and I took Adderall when a pdoc prescribed it to counteract the daytime sleepiness brought on by other meds. Personally, I felt AWFUL. The hand tremor I already had on lithium got so bad I couldn't sign my name on a check. I felt jittery and sick to my stomach. I lasted about two weeks, during which I lost ten pounds. I was happy to stop taking it and went back to sleeping all day every day. I threw the remaining pills away. 

The book "More, Now, Again" by Elizabeth Wurtzel is her addiction to Ritalin, and when her Ritalin gets cut off, cocaine. I hate Wurtzel and the book pissed me off. She was snorting 40 10mg pills of Ritalin a day, reassuring herself that "its a drug for 6 year olds, you can't get addicted".

But yea, that article is ridiculous too. It's people like that that make it hard for others to get meds they need.

I know Wurtzel. I don't want to offend anyone by saying what I think of her. She seems to purposefully pursue the most dangerous course of treatment. My guess is she does it because she needs more fodder for her next vomiting of words, er, book.

The book "More, Now, Again" by Elizabeth Wurtzel is her addiction to Ritalin, and when her Ritalin gets cut off, cocaine. I hate Wurtzel and the book pissed me off. She was snorting 40 10mg pills of Ritalin a day, reassuring herself that "its a drug for 6 year olds, you can't get addicted".

But yea, that article is ridiculous too. It's people like that that make it hard for others to get meds they need.

no where does she question if her perception of the number of people taking adderall illegally may be off, just that they aren't around her. I know some people do abuse it but maybe it's exaggerated in her mind?

And at the bottom was the usual anti-anti-depressant person. 'They're addictive!" Yes, so they are. Celexa is addictive. It's also keeping me alive. Pretty much all drugs are addictive and have potentially horrible side effects, including the ones that help cancer and MS patients. I politely told this twit off. Because you know what's more permanent than addiction? The effects of suicide on oneself and one's loved ones. 

She sounds extremely ill, trying to find something -anything- that will make her....however she thinks she should feel. In a way it pisses me off, because it is giving people who need stimulant medications a bad wrap from both physicians & society.

Is this new? Not really. Just today I saw a attorney ad on television which said "have you ever been addicted to pain killers? call us and get compensated!". And people wonder why medications like that (pain killers, stimulants & benzos) are so hard to get when you need them.

The only thing I can do, is pray for this woman & people like her. As well as hope that the people who matter, you know the ones with intelligence, can see what is happening.

However on the other hand, it also makes me want to be an advocate on mentally interesting people & medications.

Articles like this really only serve to grow the support for regular mental health screens for everyone, the way that we have physicals now.

I tend ti think that if you are doing something like this you are trying ti self-medicate something that is wrong, even if you don't yet know what that something wrong is yet, or may not even realize that yes you are self-medicating.

What if such articles were automatic grounds to see a pdoc? Firstly fewer if them would get written (is that a loss?) instead we would have mire articles about how different psyche services are now from the dark ages. Those that battle stigma are alwys good. Having us be seen as drug-seekers is bad for stigma.

She is an idiot.  Yes, it is very annoying.

And by the way Ms. Drug Abuser......there are a LOT of drugs to treat Arthritis.  You should try going to a doctor

instead of seeking a feel good drug illegally.

Taking an addictive medication to help her pickle ball game??  She does not deserve to call herself a journalist.

You ask 'Does this make anyone else in the least bit irritated?'   

It sure the hell does!  and greatly.  I won't suffer due to dope heads and I've made this abundantly clear to all of my pdocs over the past 30 years.  I have tried Ritalin and Adderall for depression with varying degrees of help at low scheduled doses.  I had to fight to get the scripts but my pdocs always end up seeing things my way as I tell them they are not prescribing to the 'community' or the 'dope heads' and are prescribing to ME and I have a right to avail myself of any reasonable medication to include off label to help myself function. 

Many pdocs quote all this pseudo rhyme and reason to not prescribe anything that may help due to concerns of people other than the one sitting right smack in front of them having abused or fatally overdosed on benzos, stimulants and others.  I really don't care as it was their choice to abuse their scripts or buy these medications from others and abuse them and it's not my fault or problem. 

Fortunately I have the tenacity of a rabid pit bull when my pdoc challenges me about my trying anything he deems abusable and always get what I want as I put him through Brian's Residency Program years ago but for those who are passive or timid and could be helped by these medications and are denied even trying them is why I dislike dope heads with a passion and I am allowed to dislike them.  Shrinks need to help and treat the patient in front of them and not be concerned with saving the world.  Also I point out that our number one drug of abuse is legal and available in our grocery stores - alcohol and nobody needs a script.

I have nothing but compassion for those battling addictions and have helped many over the years and will always help anyone battling any addiction but I can still hate it when they buy psych meds or abuse their own as they make it tough for the people benefitting from these meds.

To me a dope head is one liking it, thinking it's cool and enjoying it and not being pro active in getting treatment and I dislike them.  But I love and respect those fighting addictive diseases and have and always will do anything to be a buddy and friend and supportive in their fight.

I cannot state stats for any area other than my own but in the NYC metro area 80% of alprazolam abusers with a prescription are prescribed it by a non psychiatric physician.  Also there are not stats available for the source of those buying Adderall and Ritalin but it's common knowledge that the source prescriptions are primarily from non psychiatric physicians.  Shrinks are very, very careful where I live in rx'ing benzos and stimulants but pcp and gynies are somewhat liberal. 

Xanax is so overprescribed here in NYC it's an epidemic.  Last year New Yorker magazine had their famous Xanax cover which angered many of us.  The cover story is offensive and belittling to those taking it who need it to live and function,  not as a 'happy pill'.  Xanax: A Love Story ugg....sickening

http://gawker.com/5894585/allow-us-to-gently-point-out-that-new-york-magazines-cover-story-is-meaningless

• 1 month later...

I felt a bit pissed off after reading that book, too. Surely she would realize that publishing something like that isn't helping the case of adults who really need stimulants. If someone wants to abuse rx meds, that's their choice but they could at least have the decency not to publicize it. On the other hand, it is a reminder to be careful with them. 

I HATE her. She thinks she is such the artiste, and artiste all have their tragic flaws, voila, drug addiction. Her actual tragic flaw is that she is a narcissistic poseur. She isn't even that good a writer. I haven't read that book, but I can promise you she became an addict so she could write another SHOCKING confessional. I read Prozac Nation, and hated, and everyone around me just thought it was awesome. So I read Bitch, once again, self-centered assholishness. If you haven't figure it out, I really, really don't like her. The first time I met her, she tried to play me, and much to her wounded surprise, she got slapped down.

I HATE her. She thinks she is such the artiste, and artiste all have their tragic flaws, voila, drug addiction. Her actual tragic flaw is that she is a narcissistic poseur. She isn't even that good a writer. I haven't read that book, but I can promise you she became an addict so she could write another SHOCKING confessional. I read Prozac Nation, and hated, and everyone around me just thought it was awesome. So I read Bitch, once again, self-centered assholishness. If you haven't figure it out, I really, really don't like her. The first time I met her, she tried to play me, and much to her wounded surprise, she got slapped down.

How did you come to meet her? (and what happened exactly) :D