CrazyBoards.org

So...I did a quick search and there are a few scattered mentions of this, but not much. I figured I'd start a new topic since the only topic solely dedicated to it was now three years old...though I understand the answer may be the same.

I saw the nurse practitioner who has been working with me on an assortment of things (primarily gynecological, but also vitamin D deficiency). The gynecological stuff (lubrication related) is largely resolved, but I mentioned that I was highly, highly anxious that it would come back.

One of the things she recommended (in addition to an essential oil and an application that monitors your breathing and heart rate graphically while you think about various things and meditation) was reiki.

I figured I'd google it...but I figured I'd also ask here for positive/negative experiences.

As a very quick note--she's not anti-medication, not trying to get me to go off meds, and has stated previously that she'd want to check with my psychiatrist before doing certain things, so she's definitely not anti-traditional medicine. And I'm obviously not anti-med and planning on changing any of that either. This is just as an add-on.

I've had reiki done to me a few times.  I always just had it with the hope of getting a little more mental clarity or something.  I definitely feel like Reiki does something.  I guess I buy into the idea that there is some kind of energy running through our bodies, although perhaps it is a new age superstition.  I can say that I felt different after having it done... I felt an intense sleepiness afterwards, and awoke from a nap feeling exceptionally recharged.  I saw images while it was being done... a dove and a globe or something (sounds cliche I know).  I don't know if it can help cure diseases... It certainly can't hurt, as long you don't spend too much money on it.   

I've some really great Reiki experiences and then some that were ehhh...

I've never paid to have it done (except at a charity event, the money went towards an organization), and have been trained to do it myself, though I admit it has been awhile. A friend does it on animals at her local shelter and has done some work with my 3 pets recently.

It's worth a shot, your body takes what energy it needs and leaves the rest....I hope it helps you!

There isn't harm in trying. You aren't going off any meds or anything. It can't hurt, really. I tried acupuncture, but couldn't afford it long term, and I am a skeptic, but it did help with anxiety and relaxation.

My SIL is training to be a Reiki Master.  She uses Reiki all the time, often for me.  She 'sends' me Reiki across the country.  We are on opposite coasts.  Sometimes I send it back to her even though I have no idea what I am doing. I just pretend.

My jury is out on Reiki, however, I know SO many people who use it.  It is hard to believe that the whole process is bunk.  Maybe it is one of those things that work because you want it to work.  

When my brother died, Reiki kept my SIL out of a deep dark hole.  For that very reason, I love Reiki.  Anything that keeps her going and happy is fine with me and I will support to the bitter end no matter how many people laugh at the process.  

I say, go for it!

• 2 months later...

My mother and brother are both Reiki I. I think the effectiveness of Reiki is highly dependent on the experience and attunement of the practitioner. Ask the practitioner about the lineage of their teaching. If it can be traced to Usui Reiki and the orientation of the Cho Ku Rei is correct then the teaching is traditional. If the Reiki is some new invention or hybrid, and/or the Cho Ku Rei is facing the wrong way, the effectiveness is doubtful.

Any form of complementary therapy that encourages relaxation, self care and isn't giving you medical advice is going to have a positive effect, even just lying down somewhere quiet and relaxing helps most people a little.

That is exactly what I was going to write.

I've had reiki done on me a few times, and each time felt more relaxed afterwards, though I don't know if there was much big change. But I so rarely do good self care, even twenty minutes of lying down breathing quietly helps.

The last two times I was IP, I had reiki done on me by volunteers. I was grateful to have people just being nice (rather than directive, medicating or outright awful as some of the staff were).