CrazyBoards.org

Possible return of OCD

I was diagnosed with OCD and depression back in 2009. I was first put on Zoloft and later had Abilify added and I was symptom free for the past year and a half.

But I neglected to take my medication regularly which I rectified recently by taking them regularly again and at the dosages that were instructed to me. The problem is that I think my OCD has returned.

I currently have recurrent sexual and scatological thoughts that are distressing and intrusive.

I do have a therapist, but I can't go to him until August due to the fact that much of my family will be out until then. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping things under control until then?

Well just ignore the intrusive thought. Like if you get one, don't examine it from every angle. Just trying to say well I maybe this way but I'm going to live my life. It amazes me that you just went symptom free. I never went like that. It took years to get where i am today and my theme still scares the crap out of me when I get a urge to think about it. See then whole time med's where covering it up. You haven't built the skills to weather the storm when it comes. And not taking your med's right had alot to do with it. Maybe you just need to start on some new med's. OCD sucks. Mainly Pure O is what I have and HUH, it just sucks. Just try to hang in there until august. If you can't seem to make it till then, then I suggest you go IP to just take it easy.

As sonic said, being aware of when you are ruminating and obsessing, and then interrupting it can be helpful.

Many people (myself included) have been known to get benefit from developing a "mindfulness awareness practice" (aka vipassana, sitting meditation, etc) to help become more aware when obsessive thinking shows up and "unhook" from the particular story-line of the thoughts... learning to recognize them as "just thoughts" that can pass on by.

I don't know if this would help you, but what I do with intrusive thoughts is I put up a mantal 'STOP' sign when one comes along, and try to immediately do something distracting so I do not ruminate on the thought.  Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but that's the best tool I have.  I hope your pdoc can tweak your meds and help you out with the intrusive thoughts. 

• 4 weeks later...

MINDFULNESS does wonders. It's incredibly helpful - it helped me get control of my brain again. Just notice the thoughts, acknowledge them and then let go of them. If you have compulsions, try to delay performing the ritual and eventually you'll be able to not do it ay all. t's hard at first but once you realize your thoughts can't control you.