CrazyBoards.org

Warning about antibiotics

Heya,

As I've posted.

But thought it should get its own BP title.

You don't have to reply.  Just please be aware.

I have a whopping ear infection, self-diagnosed.  I took eardrops and some free samples of meds -- some "mycin" or other.

I finally asked my FP to look in my ear.

She Rx'd me Biaxin (clarithromycin).  I later, after a couple of days, switched to samples of Avelox (moxifloxacin) because it's supposed to work for this problem.

Looking at my mood chart, both antibiotics (Abx) seemed to contribute to an ugly mixed state in the last few days.

Looking in the CPS (Big Book of Drugs) it's obvious from the monographs that:

***ANY QUINOLONE (ie. ends in "floxacin") or ANY MACROLIDE (ends in "omycin") can bring on a "MOOD SWING", ie. manic/mixed episode.***

Evan in otherwise non-MI people, so imagine the effect on us.

I don't have to imagine.  Fucking mixed state big time.  Switched to amoxicillin and eardrops.  Better after one day.

And people *still* can't get that this is a *physical* illness.

--ncc--

Heeee... glad I didn't have to switch off Biaxin in October.  (I get bronchitis semi-annually.)  I'll definitely keep this on mind next time a GP has the prescription pad out!  Thanks for the heads-up. 

Heeee... glad I didn't have to switch off Biaxin in October.  (I get bronchitis semi-annually.)  I'll definitely keep this on mind next time a GP has the prescription pad out!  Thanks for the heads-up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lucky!  i pretty much have chronic asthmatic bronchitis..... i have *no* immune system so im sick and on antibiotics a lot..... it's even more fun when it gets so bad that they need to put ya on an oral steroid like prednisone.....

psycho meds + antibiotics + prednisone = off the wall

I was on Biaxin along with another antibiotic quite some time ago as prophylactic treatment for H. pylori (but now I just have GERD...) and I don't recall freaking out.  All I just got were wicked tummy troubles.  Blech. 

Karen

Yeah, antibiotics...did anyone know that any of the macrolides combined with Tegretol will up the blood concentration of Tegretol way way up? I found out that when I started sleeping all day (and all nigth) and being too tired to even lift my head off the bed last summer. Rigth in the middle of moving appartments.

At least it wasn't aplastic anemia. My pdoc was worried sick over that.

With these things you never stop learning...

Archived