CrazyBoards.org

Pleased with ECT results

I've had 9 bilateral treatments thus far, and I must say they have had a more profoundly positive effect than I had expected. There are some cognitive side effects; most notably my memory has been compromised. I've also noticed a lot of deja vu and strange dreams.  However, the side effects are worth feeling like "my old self" again.

I'm so glad that you had a positive experience. I am convinced that ECT saved my life. Sure, I've got some memory problems but the thing is, I'm HERE to have memory problems. There is a lot to be said for that.

ECT sounds a little scary to me, but I am really glad it's helped! :)

~Aau

The part that is a little scary is "coming to" afterwards. There is a good 10 minutes where I have to gather my wits. But the ECT staff is very kind and understanding.

This is wonderful. Congrats on a medical procedure that worked for you!!!

It seems like on CB people write about their worries beforehand, what its like during and how they cope, and if its made things better or worse. Which really could be any procedure. It just seems like ECT has this black shadow that people are afraid of.

Good for you on getting treatment you needed and worked!!!

db

I'm really glad this helped you. 

I remember reading about it when I did my A-level psychology and it sounded really scary, they sure didn't make it sound appealing. 

I've always wondered what it was like after the treatment, I'm glad the staff are understanding. I think a bit of memory trouble is a small price to pay for feeling like your old self and I'm sure it will get better with a bit of time! :-)