CrazyBoards.org

So I'm on a bunch of meds and my pdoc and I were trying to get the number of meds I'm on down so we started weaning me off of seroquel, I went from 200mg per day down to 100mg per day was on that dose for a month.  I got so depressed and was having suicidal ideations so yesterday when I went to my pdoc I explained my situation and she told me that seroquel acts as an antidepressant as well.  I'd never heard that before, does anybody know if that is true?  Needless to say I'm back up to 200mg per day.  We are going to try to wean me off of geodon next to see if I can handle just seroquel.

Seroquel is approved as an add-on to an antidepressant to treat depression. I don't think it's approved for the treatment of bipolar depression, but it is approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder, as an augment to antidepressants, like I said. So, yes, it has antidepressant properties. Many, many people around here use Seroquel for depression. 

Edited by Parapluie

Interesting that Geodon and Seroquel are Rx'd together. My pdoc wouldn't even allow me to take 25mg Seroquel with Geodon (80mg) so I switched to Seroquel completely as Geodon and I don't get along - Seroquel is much better for me. Geodon did have less side effects, but they were more severe for me. Enough about me!

Seroquel can help with depression. I find it really effective. Much more so than Geodon was.

Seroquel is approved as an add-on to an antidepressant to treat depression. I don't think it's approved for the treatment of bipolar depression, but it is approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder, as an augment to antidepressants, like I said. So, yes, it has antidepressant properties. Many, many people around here use Seroquel for depression. 

Actually Seroquel XR is approved for bipolar depression at 300mg per day. Like others have said it is also approved in uni-polar depression as an add on to antidepressant treatment (150-300mg/day). 

https://www.seroquelxrtouchpoints.com/bipolar-disorder/bipolar-depression-efficacy/

Actually Seroquel XR is approved for bipolar depression at 300mg per day. Like others have said it is also approved in uni-polar depression as an add on to antidepressant treatment (150-300mg/day). 

https://www.seroquelxrtouchpoints.com/bipolar-disorder/bipolar-depression-efficacy/

Oh, thanks, Mcjimjam. Good to know.