CrazyBoards.org

new to board, not to mentally breaking down

hello all,

i am very very frustrated.  i have been seeing the same psycatrist for the past 15 yrs, but cant get a diagnosis.  when i have asked, he said major deppression...well thats a broad umbrella.  i know for a fact that i have ptsd - molested by uncle, lost fiance in car accident, watch someone accidently overdose in front of me.  i was an alcoholic, been sober for 8 months.  have been on every kind of medication, and always feel the same.  i match every single symptom of borderline personality, except for the cutting/suicides.  my dr said i CANT have it cus of these 2 not being present.  its getting to the point where i WANT to hurt myself to go the the hospital, so i can finally get a diagnosis.  i do understand that finally being able to lable my stuggles wont change anything...i need to treat my symptoms...but i need and want to know.

other symptoms i feel, or do

hate myself

crazy craigslist sex

never been able to maintain friendships/relationships

never been able to work

sometimes feel i am better, or deserve things

think people are plotting behind my back

anger outbursts

have locked myself in my room/not seen anyone for months at a time

spend money carelessly

on a few occasions, moved away, only to come back home to lock myself in my room for months/weeks, and dont know why

obsess over things to the point i make others crazy

there are others, but its hard to put them all down.

anyways, thats me...any suggestions?   thanks

Edited by jajr1977

Hi Jajr. One thing you might try for a diagnosis is to call your insurance carrier and ask what, if any, diagnostic codes were submitted for your psych visits. That will tell you what the doctor is telling your insurance company that you have. You'll have to look up the codes online, but it's pretty easy. For example, I have bipolar 2, which is code 296.89. If you search those numbers, it tells you that they mean BP2. So get the code(s) from the insurance company and google it, and that might help.

OK, edited to add: I noticed you are seeing the psychatrist for 15 years. is changing a psychatrist an option?

sorry for not reading it 110%!

yes, i am for sure trying to find a new dr...the last straw with him was the last visit...he said "well weve tried just about every medication...how about aderall...i understand it may help many...but to just throw legal meth at me was disconcerning...and when i asked if i had bpd...he kinda laughed, and said u never cut, or tried to kill yourself, so you cant have it...and then he said, yeah, i dont understand cutters...doesnt make any sense to me...

Hi Jajr. One thing you might try for a diagnosis is to call your insurance carrier and ask what, if any, diagnostic codes were submitted for your psych visits. That will tell you what the doctor is telling your insurance company that you have. You'll have to look up the codes online, but it's pretty easy. For example, I have bipolar 2, which is code 296.89. If you search those numbers, it tells you that they mean BP2. So get the code(s) from the insurance company and google it, and that might help.

thank you, thats some nice info...but im paying cash...no insurance

It sounds like your pdoc is maybe forgetting that you need to meet 5 out of 9 criteria, instead of the ones that may be viewed as commonly associated with them.

At any rate, it sounds like you've lived hard and had some hard things happen. If those hard things also cause you problems in a particular way, you might also have PTSD.

You might try finding a psychotherapy program that uses dialectical behavioral therapy, preferably the entire treatment protocol of skills group plus individual therapy plus treatment team.

After you get some new skills there, you might try working through cognitive processing therapy for the trauma.

It sounds like your pdoc is maybe forgetting that you need to meet 5 out of 9 criteria, instead of the ones that may be viewed as commonly associated with them.

At any rate, it sounds like you've lived hard and had some hard things happen. If those hard things also cause you problems in a particular way, you might also have PTSD.

You might try finding a psychotherapy program that uses dialectical behavioral therapy, preferably the entire treatment protocol of skills group plus individual therapy plus treatment team.

After you get some new skills there, you might try working through cognitive processing therapy for the trauma.

Thank You sooo much.  I have never heard of that therapy.  It sounds like exactly what I need.  I know I have at least PTSD.  could that mirror the symptoms of BPD?

You definitely need a second opinion or a new psychiatrist.  It is ridiculous that you have no DX after 15 years.  Would you accept that from a Cardiologist or Dermatologist?  You deserve better.

you couldnt be more correct.  It only took me over 10yrs to figure that out.  I have since found negative feedback about this paticular Dr. posted on various sites.

Welcome to CB!

Wooster beat me to it.  I was going to suggest looking into DBT (dialectical behavior therapy).  It is generally effective in treating BPD and traits of BPD.  DBT teaches skills that help with mood regulation, distress tolerance, acceptance, and mindfulness.  I found it to be enormously helpful, even though I never met the full criteria for BPD.

I wish you luck in finding new treatment providers that help you get to a better place.  Many providers offer sliding scale options for those who are paying in cash.  Don't be afraid to "interview" new providers to figure out who will be the best fit for you.  You deserve proper treatment, and shouldn't have to wait ten years to find out someone isn't right for you.