CrazyBoards.org

Heartbroken-Had to change therarpists-she didn't understand me at all

Just when my therapist had become my best friend we talked on the phone.... she told me she thinks I'm 100% healthy and just have issues because of being severely neglected as a baby no bipolar no nothing. And then she said she had other patients with bipolar who really just had emotional issues and she had them slowly get off their meds. I wanted to cry. I felt so cheated and misunderstood. All this time she didn't get it. MY MOTHER NEGLECTED ME FOR A REASON. She has mental illness I know because I've met her. It's genetic. I cried when I got off the phone. I felt like all these months were wasted. I was so hurt. I have suffered clinical depression I have suffered MANIA. I have suffered from aspergers my whole life. And all these things-are meaningless to her. I just feel heartbroken.... Every and I mean EVERY other mental health professional I've met has known I had at the very least depression and some form of social issue.

I went back to my old therapist from when I was 13-the one who originally diagnosed me with aspergers. He is very sweet to me and understanding. I don't understand why i viewed him as a monster when I was younger. He gets that what I have is real. Hes the one who first diagnosed me with anything other than stereotypies and ADHD. He gets me. He understands. I'm happy to be seeing him again.

This is very discouraging.  I can appreciate your frustration.  It makes me wonder if she even understands or believes in a biological mental illness suchas Bipolar Disorder. 

Who is prescribing your meds? 

Your Abilify and Lamictal, etc.  That doctor knows you are Bipolar.  I would talk to your psychiatrist.

And I HATE that she dumped this on you instead of having a conversation with your Psychiatrist herself to clarify your DX.

Edited by bpladybug

I'm sorry to hear that you had to fire your therapist, that is always very hard. It sounds like you really liked her. However it also sounds like it was a good thing that you left her.

Being comfortable with your therapist is one thing. But actually being friends is a whole different idea. It's generally not a good thing to be a close friend with a doctor, because a lot of the times (as you have found out) they lose track of the reasons why you are seeing them in the first place. And they can definitely say the wrong thing or misjudge you.

You should be proud of yourself that you stood up to her, and let her know you do need medications & therapy for BP and AS. You know you best. You also connected back with your old therapist who was able to pin point your diagnosis in the first place.

PS And It is easy to label our old doctors as monsters, mainly because we were so young (and ill). You have him another chance though, I hope he does well for you :)

How frustrating.  I had a pdoc tell me that I don't have 'typical' bipolar as in not textbook.....she told me this after I had been rapid cycling like crazy and attempted suicide.  It made me so mad.  I found a new pdoc after that.  I'm glad that your old therapist is good.

The difference between friends and therapists is, friends will help you move your stuff and all they want is some pizza and drink in return.  A therapist won't even talk to you without an appointment and charges by the minute.  You need both types of people in your life, but don't mistake the two.   

^ ^   This.

I don't think she acted in a professional manner when she called you and basically said there was nothing "treatable" that was wrong with you.  

I am very sorry you are so sad, which is understandable since you had a friendship with your therapist.  

Bipolar_Flower -

It sounds to me as though you made a good, sound decision for your own mental health by returning to your original therapist.  For a therapist to completely disregard a prior diagnosis of BP and Asperger's and tell you that you just have "issues" from when you were a baby casts grave doubt as to that person's professional competence.  As to why you viewed your original therapist as a monster when you were 13... you were 13.  My daughter viewed me as a monster when she was 13.  Now, not so much.

I'm glad you've found an understanding ear again.

Cerberus