CrazyBoards.org

Obsessive diet searching in google...

I often find myself trawling through weight loss blogs, news articles and diet plans on google. I mean I have been reading some pretty weird shizzle. The tongue piercing diet, the braces diet, the orange diet. WHO THE HECK comes up with these things!?

And why do I find my spare moments are taken by gorming endlessly at these articles.

I never try them, ever. Yet I seem to find myself staring at diets promising a 10lb weight loss more so now than when my ED ruled over my sorry ass. It seems the closer I get to 'being better' the more I seem to obsess over food and looks. It's not even about weight any more, measuring wont lie to me.

Urgh...

It sure is insidious and seductive, isn't it? Especially when it seems that our collective society is really good about engaging in disordered eating thoughts, patterns, and behaviours. It seems to really be distressing you. Can you use your browser's parental controls to block such content? Or use it as a tool to figure out why you're self-triggering like this?

I do this too, which I know is bad. So you're not alone.

I guess I could, I'm not sure how to work parental controls but I will look into it (HA some great parent I'd be!)

I don't know why I enjoy doing it so much, it really does distress me. I'm almost ashamed of it and get a little thrill when everyone is out and I know I can do it without my housemate or other half sticking their nose over my laptop. (my housemate does this all the time, nosey cow.)

Edited by Paperskyscraper

Urgh. I do this too.  Yeah all the fad diets, I've never done a fad diet, just restricting and other disordered things. My ex used to always come and sit next to me when I was on the laptop and he'd always get worked up over it, so I understand the whole privacy thing. I don't think I have any advice really but Rosie's idea is a pretty good one. I don't know what browser you have but maybe someone here can provide the instructions!

I notice myself obsessing about diets and making weird diet plans when I'm stressed or overwhelmed, generally speaking.  It's my way of turning back to something familiar when I feel out of sorts. 

Could try only allowing yourself a set amount of time to look at these diet-related sites?  If it feels too hard not to browse them entirely, then set a timer and only devote a certain amount of time to it.  When the timer goes off, switch to thinking or reading about something else that interests you.