CrazyBoards.org

Frequent awakenings during the night... Could it be sleep apnea?

I'm 21. I have been awakening at least 3-4 times in the middle of the night. It started happening since June of last year. My psychiatrist thought it was due to latent anxiety and gave me klonopin at first. I started sleeping for sixteen consecutive hours in a day on only .5 mg and was switched to Zoloft in a month 25 mg. I got really nervous while on Zoloft and switched back to Zyprexa 5 mg in October.

My sleeping was normal from then on until April of this year. I developed post-nasal drip around the same time and was observed snoring by my mom. I recently gained a lot of weight (from 140 to 187 lbs) which is believed to be due to the medication.

I've read that most people with sleep apnea aren't aware of awakening during the night, which leads me to believe there is a possibility it is not sleep apnea. Is that true? I very rarely wake up gasping for air. I also have GERD that isn't well controlled even with Nexium 40 mg twice a day. I'm just really lost because my disturbed sleep is exacerbating my mental illness.

I agree with a sleep study. I knwo what you mean about the getting no sleep and making the MI worse.  To get enough sleep every day I nap 2-3 times a day.  That helps keep the hallucinations under control, for the most part (they are terrible without sleep).

I would definitely look into having a sleep study done.  Does your mom ever observe that you stop breathing during the snoring?

My mom said she couldn't tell. I called my doctor and he ordered a sleep study. I've never had a sleep study before.

If anyone has had a sleep study before, how difficult is it to sleep with all the leads and sensors on?

If anyone has had a sleep study before, how difficult is it to sleep with all the leads and sensors on?

For me it was kind of hard to sleep with all the sensors on my head, but I was still able to sleep.  It was a comfortable setting.  I had to purposely stay awake for a certain amount of time before the study (I don't remember how much, but I went in there extra tired because I had to stay awake for awhile).  The leads are long and allow you to move around.  Mine were connected to a box of some sort so I could get up and go to the bathroom if I needed to.  It wasn't a bad experience. 

When you go I suggest bringing a brush and (if the let you shower afterwards) shampoo because the stuff left in your hair is a lot.  I had to wash my hair twice to get it all out.

But overall I was glad I had the sleep study done to rule out things.

• 4 years later...

I had a Pulmonary Function Test done to check my Lungs I too sleep long hours and are completely exhausted all day when I wake up after 15 hours of sleep and I still want to sleep when I wake up I told my Dr. This and he thinks I may have sleep apnea so do my parents and so does the tech I had my Pulmonary test taken by I should know  by tomorrow if I have to go and have a sleep study done and I also gained a lot of weight which I thought was due to my meds Abilify5mg and Lexapro10mg is all I take and now a Iron pill every evening which I hadn't taken this evening only because its bitter and so bad awful tasting it lingers in my mouth for several hours the taste does. I am 100 percent for certain I may have sleep apnea I snore loudly at night my mom and dad can hear me over a Fan I run at night which is pretty loud snoring and tired all the time no energy. I too may have to wear a CPAP mask to sleep every night depends on what they find out if I go for a sleep study which I am thinking their going to request I do.