CrazyBoards.org

Time To Find a New Counselor?

I've been struggling for about 2 months now, panic and depression. Effexor stopped working after 2 yrs, elevated cortisol may be the problem. I cant seem to get the meds right and its sooooooooo frustrating!!!!! I have strange reactions to everything!!!!

My counselor started a dbt group which is only a group of women reading mindfulness and dbt handouts. I've been at this practice for about 4 years and I kinda feel stuck. I'm doing the work as far as the above and then some. I even had one good week!

Im also currently being evaluated for disability so I don't know if I should change therapy, but I feel like I need a psychiatrist rather than just a counselor. I'm soooooooo confused!!!

Should I just stick it out until after my disability decision? Or maybe I should try no counseling at all for awhile?

ps. I asked my p-nurse about a dopamine agonist and she just put me on generic Seroquel and 1/2 25mg knocked me on my ass! wtf!!!

yes, a small dose of Seroquel affects the histamine receptors in your brain and makes you very sleepy.

Don't ask me explain that, I read it on several places including The Last Psychiatrist blog.

Larger doses affect Seratonin and other neurotransmitters. 

Just curious--why did you ask for a dopamine agonist?  I mostly associate dopamine agonists with treatment for Parkinson's.  Although, I think Abilify is a partial dopamine agonist?

Who prescribes your psych meds?  Having a pdoc is helpful when trying different meds and nailing down a good treatment plan for a mood disorder.  I don't think finding a psychiatrist would change the outcome of your disability evaluation.

Probably because you don't always get what you ask for.  I'm not saying that to be snide - just that that's probably the reason.

If you are unhappy with your meds, a psychiatrist consult might be a really good idea.  Switching therapists can also be a good idea if you really feel like you aren't getting anywhere - maybe discuss that with your therapist?  A good therapist should be able to discuss your concerns with you openly.

Just curious--why did you ask for a dopamine agonist?  I mostly associate dopamine agonists with treatment for Parkinson's.  Although, I think Abilify is a partial dopamine agonist?

Who prescribes your psych meds?  Having a pdoc is helpful when trying different meds and nailing down a good treatment plan for a mood disorder.  I don't think finding a psychiatrist would change the outcome of your disability evaluation.

I figured because I have so much trouble with SSRI & SNRI (I get wirey) that atleast a partial dopamine agonist, like Wellbutrin may work better. Also I have been diagnosed with restless leg and I read that its helpful in treating that. AND I get absolutely ZERO enjoyment out of anything at all and heard dopamine may help that as well.

I see a counselor as well as a p-nurse :)

Probably because you don't always get what you ask for.  I'm not saying that to be snide - just that that's probably the reason.

If you are unhappy with your meds, a psychiatrist consult might be a really good idea.  Switching therapists can also be a good idea if you really feel like you aren't getting anywhere - maybe discuss that with your therapist?  A good therapist should be able to discuss your concerns with you openly.

True, however my p-nurse is fairly open to ideas especially since I have had so very many meds and little luck.

And yes your right, actually my counselor has mentioned possible bpd, being evaluated by a psychiatrist and getting into a more intensive program for help. But I guess its my turn to bring it up again. Thank you!