CrazyBoards.org

High Anxiety Lately

Hi, I'm new to this board so I'm not sure if this is how I'm supposed to post but here goes. Ever since last Wednesday I've been experiencing extreme amounts of anxiety. I'm not sure if it's GAD or OCD because I have had anxious spells in the past, but they've never been this bad. I have never been to a doctor for my anxiety but I am highly considering it. I had my first panic attack near the end of May and for about three days straight I felt disassociated and out of it. I got a temp job in June and felt pretty normal while I was working. My job ended shortly before the 4th of July and since then my anxiety has seemed to skyrocket. I experience a lot of dizziness, fast heart beat, quick breathing, intrusive thoughts, and every once in a while dissociation. What I am currently obsessed/stressed out about is the idea of getting Schizophrenia. I'm seriously scared out of my mind of getting this disorder that it's all I can think about. I'm constantly worried that I experience symptoms of it and every little thing that happens I have to go over in my mind if it was a symptom of it or not. I haven't had any hallucinations or delusions or voices in my head but I'm just really anxious that it will happen. My mom's half sister's son has Schizophrenia (half cousin?) and I can't get my mind off the fact that if I got it it would probably ruin my life. It scares me a lot and I haven't brought it up with anyone because I know it is kind of an irrational fear but I can't shake it. Does anyone on here have any ideas for me as to how I can get my mind off this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Yuck! I hate intrusive thoughts. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. 

I don't want to diagnose you OCD but that is what I was diagnosed and your intrusive thought pattern sounds very similar. Therapy and medication have been the best for me but my therapist did teach me some non-medical techniques that helped. Ultimately though it was medication that saved me after years of suffering.

One technique that worked: Try telling yourself that the thought of schizophrenia is just a bad tape playing in your head. Don't try to rationalize with it. Say that you are removing this bad tape and replacing it with the tape of ... (i.e. cooking, knitting, figuring out your plan for the day, etc). Sometimes this helps even if you have to "replace the tape" multiple times! 

The best advice though is to seek out a therapist. 

Best of luck!!!

You should definitely see at least a gdoc, and if it were me (which it isn't), a pdoc as well. Anxiety is paralyzing.

The thing about panic attacks is there isn't a lot you can do about them. You have to realize it is *just* a panic attack, not a heart attack or stroke, and tough it out. You may or may not have access to benzos, but even so, it is likely you will still have the occasional panic attack. I know it sounds like I am being harsh, but I speak from experience. Others who also speak from experience will probably have different tips.

Do you have any diagnosis? It seems as if you don't. You should take a deep breath, and a) realize you probably aren't schizophrenic, and b) that if you are, it isn't as if you suddenly became someone else, you are still the person you were before any diagnosis is spoken. If you get a schiz. diagnosis, there are a lot of people on crazyboards who have been through it. If it is something else, there will be people who have been through *that.* There are a lot of permutations of MI on CBs, there will almost always be someone who has been through it.

But you really need to make an appt. with a doctor.

I've struggled with GAD and panic disorder (along with depression and social phobia) most of my life.  My advice is also to see a doctor.  One way I deal with some of my symptoms sometimes is to play "what if?"  First you try to think up every reasonable answer to the question then you analyze the probability of the different outcomes.  So let's play with your scenario...  What if you go see the doctor?  The doctor will likely say one of three things, a) you have schizophrenia b) you have something else c) there's nothing wrong.  What if c?  Then you likely need to go see a different doctor because it sounds like you definitely aren't feeling good and you need help with whatever it is!  What if it's b?  You learn about the condition and work with your doctor(s) to manage it!  What if it's a?  To me it would be the same answer as if it was b but it sounds like you dread a diagnosis of schizophrenia more than I personally would so play the game.  What if you're diagnosed schizophrenic?  How would you deal?  What resources are available to you?  What would you do?  Until you get a dianosis though you very well could be worrying yourself over nothing at all!  Going to the doctor could really put your mind at ease.