CrazyBoards.org

Anti-psychotics for self-conscious, psuedo-paranoia / social anxiety stuff..

So,

I have a lot of psychosis in my family, and I had a brief psych. episode 7 years ago while using a pretty heavy illicit drug cocktail, which I recovered reasonably well from. That said, I have some lingering symptomology that has gotten worse over the last couple years in particular... extreme self-consciousness, social anxiety, interpersonal sensitivity, trouble reading people and relating comfortably, and some psuedo-paranoid thinking that I recognize as irrational but nonetheless blips about sometimes. I also have some severe problems with ruminations, ruminating about people's actions, whether or not they are moral etc... whether or not I should be angry at them. Sometimes I also have uncontrollable bouts of anger associated with these ruminations, my judgments of others, and my extreme interpersonal sensitivity.

I'm wondering if, based on any of your experiences, anti-psychotics might help with such symptoms, or if I'm stuck with using traditional anti-anxieties like benzodiazepines that I have serious concerns about ala long term cognitive impairments, and also short term cognitive impairments that could disinhibit me and let my tiny controllable paranoias and bouts of anger run wild.

edit: thanks in advance for any advice!

Edited by socialpanda

I found some of the AAP's I have taken (Latuda, Risperdal) to be useful in treating my anxiety.  Also, if my mood is more stable in general, then I am usually less socially inhibited and more likely to interact with others. 

You could also talk to your pdoc about beta-blockers, Buspar, and hydroxyzine, which aren't benzodiazepines.  Some people with bipolar can also handle certain antidepressants (when taken with a mood stabilizer), and those can help with social and generalized anxiety.

You could also talk to your pdoc about beta-blockers, Buspar, and hydroxyzine, which aren't benzodiazepines.  Some people with bipolar can also handle certain antidepressants (when taken with a mood stabilizer), and those can help with social and generalized anxiety.

These help me. 

I am quite anxious and share those symptoms you're describing. I haven't found antipsychotics helpful for any of it. I haven't tried them all though, and what does not help me may still help you. Are you seeing a psychiatrist?

That was the beginning of psychosis for me. Using a low dose of AP just to try wouldnt hurt I guess.

Btw, just wanted to say that I had the same stuff on most atypicals. I only got rid of it once I tried a typical AP. not that i would necessarily recommend them to you, but if you stay at low doses and etc then it might not be bad.

Edited by konings

• 3 weeks later...

for what it's worth, i found most antipsychotics i've been on (and i've pretty much run the gamet) to make the problems you described (as i experience them) significantly worse.  almost all of them make me dyshporic and "irregular" feeling, as in not with it/with the flow of life, and so so tired.  i had no motivation to meet people and when i did, i'd be mostly silent and end up feeling bad about it later on one level but not caring on another level.  i also had extreme bouts of anger, punching walls screaming etc and the dysphoria from APs/AAPs made irritability and therefore angry outbursts much worse for me.  i spent about 2 1/2-3 years on  and off all sorts of medication that wasn't right for me/made me feel gucky (although maybe it was at the time, who knows?  life is about progress and is not static)

i recognize that not everyone will have the experiences i had, and my dx is still unknown. i've been called bipolar, schizoaffective, anxious, depressed.  what i do know is that lately (last few months) my comfort level around people and energy level is much higher, and the anger is much better (still hints of it though). i'm on effexor xr 150mg and seroquel IR 50mg at night, that's it.  it's given me the boost to go camping/hiking, eat better, and exercise at the gym which all connects back to things looking up

i can't help but feel like we all mean slightly different things when we say interpersonal insensitivity and social anxiety, and like i said this is just me so don't be afraid to give anything a shot that might help you, as is said often around here YMMV.  this has just been my experience over the last several yers

how did the dx of biplolar come about?

even if you're dealing with no psychiatric issues, excessive drug use can make ya nuts.

did you have psychotic symptoms or severe mood swings when the drugs were taken out of the equation?  it's nearly impossible to get an accurate sense of your issues while using a lot

perhaps you'd do well to see where you stand on just an antidepressant?  or even an AD+stabilizer? 

just a thought

also never forget the basics- eating decently, physical exercise, therapy.  the cornerstones

Edited by Conchar928