CrazyBoards.org

Checking in

Hello all,

I'm happy to be here amongst your company. I'm squarely in middle age, and have had mental health issues since I was a small child. I started trying to fix those issues when I was 20, and I've been hard at work at it ever since.

It's been a real struggle sorting myself out the last 30+ years, especially since my body, for whatever reason, tends to either overreact or react in reverse to medications (this is true even of "natural" things like herbs, and "simple" things like over-the-counter things like acetaminophen - I'm told this happens more often but not always with folks who have Aspergers/ASD? But I don't know that for a fact). So I had bad reactions to medical things, and still do - but have never been able to find a physician who will recognize and help me work with that. I only recently found a doctor who would admit that my body dangerously overreacts to antihistimines. And I've most often found that naturopaths and chinese medicine doctors are of little help, as well - the naturopaths I tried would recognize that my body reacts differently to things, but they were unable to figure out how to help me anymore than I've learned to help myself. The chinese medicince doctor I tried actually ridiculed me when I had a bad reaction to his herbal concoction.

What that's meant is that for most of 30+ years, I've had to figure all this stuff out myself, and to learn to manage the symptoms I couldn't get rid of. And having to do it this way has totally sucked. But there it is.

At this point in my life, I am happy and calm most of the time, though if I don't take care of myself in a fairly disciplined way and I let my symptoms grow, I end up delusional, etc all over again. And then it's a real struggle to get myself back in line again. But with peer help and my gained wisdom over the years, so far I've been able to do it.

A positive note has been learning about my aspergers/ASD, which has helped me understand which parts of what causes me issues is mental illness, and which part is just a normal part of how my brain is supposed to work.

Anyway - I'm glad to be here, and I look forward to meeting some good folks here.

Welcome! Glad you found us. Sounds like you'll fit in just fine around here.

When you get a chance, be sure and read The Rules (http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules). We don't have a lot of rules but the ones we have are important. 

Be sure and check out the blogs and chat when you get a chance. Chat can be overwhelming at first. Sometimes it goes really fast in there and it's hard to figure it out. Don't be afraid to lurk.