CrazyBoards.org

Ok, I noticed that one this board one can have "friends".

However, I have never been able to tell when I'm officially "friends" with someone enough to "friend" them even on Facebook - so how will I figure that out here? :wall:

What makes someone your "friend" here?

What is the clue that says "Now's the time to 'friend' them, you Aspie idiot!"?

As an Aspie, I'd say you could always ask for permission...

Yes, that can look odd too, but the formal side is often thebest on to err on, in my expereince.

Personally I've not used the "friends" option much: after a while "friends" moves into a "we don't need no steenkin badges" mode, anyway.

(Unless I have made a terrible error and offended dozens of people by not "friending" them!   I've never got into Facebook either, where by rumour similar games get played.  I'd rather re-read R D Laing's "Knots"  and reflect that I wasn't born into the mainstream of my species.  For better and worse.)

Chris.

The friending function here doesn't have a whole lot of purpose, IMHO.  Yeah, unless you PM often, maybe.  But then, you'd have past PMs with them, yes?

I think LiveJournal helped me get over the "friending" anxiety, at least online, for the most part.  I still encounter it, even on here when I first looked at the friending function.

In the end, when in doubt, I ask directly.

I don't take "friend" too literally on the internet anymore.

This is true.  It's one of the words that have become casualties by overuse.

"Ultimate" needs to be put to rest...

"The Ultimate Holiday Experience"   Are holidays about to be banned forever, or do they shoot you rather than flying you home?

Chris.

I'm not autistic, but I can relate to the social issues. At first I was nervous about the friends option, too, but then eventually, I realized, like Chris said, "we don't need no steenkin badges." I looked at my friend list a few days ago and I didn't realize I had so many. I just accept when people friend me, but I'm not sure if I've ever sent a request.

I only tend to be "friend" people here on CB when I would like to "follow" them. The reasons I do so are mainly because I believe we have some of the same issues, diagnosis, history, lifestyle or medication experiences.

Otherwise I don't really think it matters, and I honestly do not think people pay much attention (if any) to that sort of thing.