CrazyBoards.org

Restoril?

I used to have Klonopin as my emergency benzo, I am BP and I take benzos when I get hypomanic/manic and have trouble sleeping, bounce of the walls, have racing thoughts and generally feel like banging my head against the wall. I don't especially like Klonopin, it makes me feel like crap, I get a several day hangover and feel very exhausted and zombied-out, but it does do the job of bringing me down quite well.

I asked my doctor to change me to a different benzo, and now I got Restoril, is this any good for acute mania/hypomania maintenance in BP patients? Googling it seems to imply it's either used for sleep, which is really only a part of what I want my emergency benzo to do.

Any experience? What do people like most?  

After I developed IBS from ambien I started taking tempazepam as needed.  I love it.  Just love it.   But I do not use Restoril for anxiety only as a sleep aide. My pdoc wrote me up for a dosage that caused severe side effects.  I would start with the 7.5 mg pill if you are sensitive to meds.  

The doctor decsribed the benzo to add when my moods get out of control, my mood stabilizer generally works quite well, but when I feel like I'm getting hypomanic and it starts to worry me, I do take the benzo. Is that odd? It works ok, but I have only had this med combination for less than a year.

I usually take Zyprexa as my emergency med for mania. I keep some around at home and at work just in case. For me, it usually takes an AAP to get mania under control. I haven't done a poll or anything but I think you'll find far more folks around here that have BPI use an AAP rather than a benzo as their emergency med.

If you're talking about hypomania then that's generally BPII.

The benzo works if I feel my mood is going up fast and I catch it early enough (so, I guess when I am still hypomanic), when I once let it escalate towards mania and tried to control it with the benzo, it did not do much, apart for letting me get a bit more sleep. Maybe I should talk to my doctor about that. I didn't actually  know people use AAPs as emergency meds. I have not been diagnosed BP for too long (I was diagnosed psychotic before), so I am still working on getting the meds on track. Thanks.

I use it (sometimes) and it does help, although for me taking it is no guarantee of sleep, but then no benzos work that well for my insomnia. For me, I could use it for anxiety, since it doesn't knock me out. I also build a tolerance to it and  other benzo's extremely quickly so I can only use it once or twice a week.