CrazyBoards.org

I hate nightmares..

I have been having more and more vivid nightmares lately. Too the point I am waking up in a cold sweat. I hate them because they feel so real. I feel like I cant escape, run away, or be safe.

I cant ground myself during my nightmares. They seem so real and he is all there. I feel him, smell him, hear him and all I want to do is scream. I cant scream as my throat is closed and all I can do is scream in my head.

I try to sleep but I close my eyes and there is he again and again. I cant sleep and yet I cant stay awake. The nights are blurring together. I just want sleep without being terrified of sleeping. I hate my sleep right now. I sleep with every light on and yet the nightmares come.

Have you tried Prazosin?  I have really terrible nightmares that were interfering with sleep and was put on it, and it stops them dead in their tracks.  You just take it at night, somewhere in the vicinity of when you want to go to bed.  It's not a sleep med so it doesn't knock you out.

I don't like them either. I wish that I could take prazosin because it seems to work well for others.

Instead I go the "tire yourself out so much that you sleep due to exhaustion" route. It is not the healthiest option.

• 1 month later...
I use this technique I read from a book by Paul Mckenna. This helps calm down the intensity of my nightmares and in most cases stops them. I hope this can help you in some way. Lack of sleep is horrible and damaging.

Note on a scale of 1-10 how anxious you feel.

1. Think of the situation. Stop it moving by freeze framing it.
2. Drain all the colour away until it's in black and white.
3. Shrink it down so it's tiny.
4. Move it far into the distance.
5. Give the person a clown's nose, pink hair and mickey mouse ears.
6. Imagine the sound of their voice. Change it by giving them a deep sexy voice. Change it again to a high squeaky mouse voice.

Note again how anxious you feel on the scale. If it's not as low as you like, try it again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same position, seems like every night it feels more and more real. for you to understand I think you probably need to know the backstory on it. I had taken care of a man who was practically family for 3 years. my uncle was insulin-dependent diabetic who refused his insulin and lived on ice cream and fried foods as well as a ridiculously expensive Meth habit. I just aged out of foster care move back to my hometown. I quickly found out he was sick and killing himself slowly. His biological family and friends only came around during the first of the month when he got his check or when he had drugs. He was dying and no one cared. For 3 years I took care of him as he slowly kill himself. He would hallucinate, vomit blood all over me, I'd run him straight hot bath water and he beg me to boil water on the stove to pour in with him. I did this for 3 years because no one else would. I got asked one time why I did it and I told them because if I didn't no one else would and one day someone would walk in and find him dead. the night before he passed away he called me and said baby girl I need you I don't feel good. I told him I'd be right there, then he asked if I'd stop and pick him up some Meth. I told him if he felt well enough to do the drugs he didn't need me and I just went to bed. The next morning his dad walked in and found him on the floor dead.

OK that's the story here's the nightmare:

Me and uncle dough were back in the er, which was such a common occurrence the emt people knew me by name. He was in the bed like usual and I was setting at his head rubbing his hair and forehead talking to him telling him he'll be OK, that we always are and we'd be getting to go home soon, you know trying to comfort him. This time they had him in a neck brace and had ventilated him. The color had already drained from him and his beautiful blue eyes had already fix but where open still. They pronounce his dead and let the family in to see him. I'm not blood relation at all, I didn't move or even seem to notice everyone file in to be able to say they were there. I kept rubbing his hair like I did every time I kept reassuring him we were going home I refused to believe it. Someone mentioned his Meth addition so the police were called to do some paperwork and they had asked everyone to leave the room I didn't hear them I was in shock I mean it was just me and uncle dough in the room. Two Dr. That were there knew me from our frequent visits and talked the officer into letting me stay

All that is exactly what happened know hears what's getting more and more real every night

They pull the curtain closed I'm still rubbing his head letting him know I was there and wasn't leaving him when he turns just his head and stares at me with such terror in his eyes like he wabts to abd is trying to tell me or warn me about something, he raises his hand and starts to reach for me and right before he grabs me I wake up crying so hard I can't breath each night is more and more vivid. I loved and still love him I sleep with his ashes when somethings wrong but the things I went through with him up until his death and our last conversation was hard enough. This dream makes it to where I'm scared to sleep.

Idk what to do arty its so long

I'm in the same position, seems like every night it feels more and more real. for you to understand I think you probably need to know the backstory on it. I had taken care of a man who was practically family for 3 years. my uncle was insulin-dependent diabetic who refused his insulin and lived on ice cream and fried foods as well as a ridiculously expensive Meth habit. I just aged out of foster care move back to my hometown. I quickly found out he was sick and killing himself slowly. His biological family and friends only came around during the first of the month when he got his check or when he had drugs. He was dying and no one cared. For 3 years I took care of him as he slowly kill himself. He would hallucinate, vomit blood all over me, I'd run him straight hot bath water and he beg me to boil water on the stove to pour in with him. I did this for 3 years because no one else would. I got asked one time why I did it and I told them because if I didn't no one else would and one day someone would walk in and find him dead. the night before he passed away he called me and said baby girl I need you I don't feel good. I told him I'd be right there, then he asked if I'd stop and pick him up some Meth. I told him if he felt well enough to do the drugs he didn't need me and I just went to bed. The next morning his dad walked in and found him on the floor dead.

OK that's the story here's the nightmare:

Me and uncle dough were back in the er, which was such a common occurrence the emt people knew me by name. He was in the bed like usual and I was setting at his head rubbing his hair and forehead talking to him telling him he'll be OK, that we always are and we'd be getting to go home soon, you know trying to comfort him. This time they had him in a neck brace and had ventilated him. The color had already drained from him and his beautiful blue eyes had already fix but where open still. They pronounce his dead and let the family in to see him. I'm not blood relation at all, I didn't move or even seem to notice everyone file in to be able to say they were there. I kept rubbing his hair like I did every time I kept reassuring him we were going home I refused to believe it. Someone mentioned his Meth addition so the police were called to do some paperwork and they had asked everyone to leave the room I didn't hear them I was in shock I mean it was just me and uncle dough in the room. Two Dr. That were there knew me from our frequent visits and talked the officer into letting me stay

All that is exactly what happened know hears what's getting more and more real every night

They pull the curtain closed I'm still rubbing his head letting him know I was there and wasn't leaving him when he turns just his head and stares at me with such terror in his eyes like he wabts to abd is trying to tell me or warn me about something, he raises his hand and starts to reach for me and right before he grabs me I wake up crying so hard I can't breath each night is more and more vivid. I loved and still love him I sleep with his ashes when somethings wrong but the things I went through with him up until his death and our last conversation was hard enough. This dream makes it to where I'm scared to sleep.

Idk what to do arty its so long