CrazyBoards.org

not sure if this is ptsd but i'm posting anyways

this morning my landlord yelled at me.

it scared me terribly, if i was able to shed any tears whatsoever i would have.  Whenever someone yells at me I revert back to my childhood where i learned that once the yelling started the hitting would be next.  Not to say my parents abused me, they hit me when i did something wrong or whatever.

I'm such a people pleaser, in part because i'm afraid someone is going to yell at me and then hit me.

I hate being this way, can anyone relate.

is this just normal reaction to being punished, or is it something more.

I used to regress if a man (my husband) raised his voice at me.

It was trigger from my alcoholic father.  I am over that now, after therapy and time.

And sometimes I get quietly angry, sometimes I yell, but I no longer turn into a ten year old girl.

I am a total overachiever and people pleaser, yeah. Hearing other people yelling at each other spikes my anxiety, let alone being yelled at myself. It's a major trigger, because yelling went hand in hand with violence when I was a kid too. Even if I have a disagreement with someone and there's no yelling, I have a hard time sticking to my ground and not giving in. Therapy is making it better a little at a time, though.