CrazyBoards.org

Who the hell am I? Really, tell me.

Hmm, how should I start my first post?  How about "HI!"  No, no, not subtle enough.  It will have to do for now.

I suppose some stats would be nice, huh?  39 F Midwest.  I'm not very creative, hence the nick being the same as my cat.  Two kids, one of which is in jail.  Husband, 44 had a heart attack in November of '12 and occasionally gets the blues. 

Me?  Today is my birthday!  GO ME!  I was in the hospital five days ago for a "heart event".  They put two stents in me and placed me on Caredevilol and Efficet.  I'm shaky as all hell so this post is taking forever.  I was on medication for schizophrenia and depression but I quit all my meds except Levothyroxine.  That didn't work out too well for me.  I'm going to ask the shrink when I have my next appointment about what I should do about that.

In November I was diagnosed with almost-SLE.  I was lacking in criteria for a diagnosis for SLE but I have all the pain and the messed up auto-antibodies.  I was taking Tramadol but have stopped since I'm not sure how my body would take it with all the new stuff.  I get all this wicked pain to boot. 

I am healing nicely though I did give them a scare with the heart cath.  I bled.  A lot.  It's all good now.  I'm bruised in places you wouldn't want to think about.  I'm trying to quit smoking, but I can't take Wellbutrin and Chantix is out for me too.  Any hints or tips would be welcome. 

That's it for me. 

Hi and welcome to Crazyboards.

I ask all newcomers to be sure and read the User Agreement.  You probably read it when you signed up.

It sounds like you have been through the mill, and I understand why you are feeling shaky.  I'm glad that you want to quit smoking, because that would be really helpful to your heart health.  I did it without Wellbutrin or Chantix, several years ago---and I had smoked for 38 years.  I was REALLY addicted. :)

You need to understand that nicotine is almost as addictive as heroin.  Since you are addicted to a nasty drug, you need help with quitting, and I don't mean chemical help.  Look around in your area for a quit program.  I would start with the local hospital, and if they don't have anything, contact the Lung Association and the Cancer Society.  Someone will have a Quit program with either individual counselors or groups.

Then you sign up, and you make a commitment to yourself that you truly want to quit.  If you aren't convinced that you are going to do this, all the counselors and programs in the world won't do it for you.

Also, investigate with your GP and cardiologist if you would be able to use the patch or gum as a temporary thing during the quitting period.

I wish you all the success in the world----I really hope you can quit.  It was the best thing I ever did for myself and my health.

olga

Thanks Olga and Phoenix_Rising.

I'm very addicted to smoking but I'm going to try to quit.  I have two cadiologist appointments, a GP appointment and just sceduled a cardio rehab appointment today. Hopefully losing weight, dietary changes and quitting smoking will be enough for my general health.  My mental health will be taken care of in time.  :)

i was advised to continue smoking by a psychiatrist because

quitting a 2 pack a day habit is mental anguish.

my advice would be to get back on MEDS and quit smoking LATER when you're stable again.

I was thinking about that today.  I think I'm going to call the psychiatrist tomorrow.  The whole "quit smokimg" thing is happening on it's own.

You know, my pdoc and I were talking a couple of weeks ago about how many people that have a schizophrenia Dx and smoke. I'm betting there is a study somewhere. Seems that they study most things these days. Wow. I just went and looked. There are a ton of studies on schizophrenia and smoking. One of the studies said that the rate was about 60-90%, which sounds about right from where I sit.

I'm not really familiar with this site but man, they have a lot of links to studies about this topic. Check out: http://www.schizophrenia.com/smoke/schizophrenia.smoking.res.htm. They have stats for BP folks that smoke as well. Some of the studies are a little old but the information is still good.

I used to smoke. It took me several tries before doing it for good. Once, I'd stopped for a couple of years and then started again. I tried hypnosis. I tried that nasty gum. I tried cold turkey. I tried doing it for my BF. Eventually, I set myself a date and time. I smoked up until that moment and I haven't pick up another one since. I've been quit for over 20 years now. It's hard to quit. Very hard. The health benefits can't be denied.

Anyway, stepping off my soap box now. :)

Welcome to CB!