CrazyBoards.org

Difference between Stress and Anxiety

I get this way too.

Stress for me is usually the cause of something going on in my life that really gets at me, so I think of it as a more  "mild" version of anxiety.  Where as anxiety seems to come out of nowhere and is much harder for me to handle.  

My job can be stressful when there is a hardware issue I have not yet solved.  However, before shooting a performance I get very very anxious.  This is NOT because I don't know the solution. I know exactly what to do.  The anxiety has to do with something else altogether. It is not based on reality though triggered by real events.

I figure stress is the event and anxiety is the stress response. In other words, anxiety is the reaction to a stressful event. 

You describe the vicious circle of anxiety --> stress. A stressor causes anxiety, then anxiety becomes the stressor, which causes MORE anxiety. 

So, yes, they are very similar. Subtle difference, if any. 

For me, I think of it this way...stress is external, anxiety is internal. Usually stress is *caused by* something outside of me...job, husband, etc...Anxiety just kinda comes from inside--something that's always there in the pit of my stomach just waiting to come out.

I find that the more stress I have, the more anxiety I have too. It's a vicious circle... The 'experts' like doctors that say to just 'minimize your stress' need to be whacked upside the head! If it was that simple to get rid of stress, I'd quit my job and retire to an island and never need Xanax again! Sometimes the helping professionals don't have a clue because they don't actually live with the stress or anxiety....

Sometimes the helping professionals don't have a clue because they don't actually live with the stress or anxiety....

Exactly! 

I just got to thinking, what if anxiety -- from anything, not necessarily something stressful, ie a med side effect -- causes you to be stressed out? How is that explained?  Because it (stress) wouldn't be from an event (or whatever); it would be from something internal also.

I just got to thinking, what if anxiety -- from anything, not necessarily something stressful, ie a med side effect -- causes you to be stressed out? How is that explained?  Because it (stress) wouldn't be from an event (or whatever); it would be from something internal also.

I think this is true. Anxiety/stress has a circular effect. If I'm already anxious, I'm more stress prone anyway. Then stress feeds the anxiety, etc.

In my experience, anxiety gets worse under its own momentum. I know how bad it can be: physical symptoms or even panic attacks. The threat of a panic attack is enough to start me stressing out and start that cycle.

In my experience, anxiety gets worse under its own momentum. I know how bad it can be: physical symptoms or even panic attacks. The threat of a panic attack is enough to start me stressing out and start that cycle.

Yes!  I am always worried about whether I am going to have a panic attack away from home, and not be able to deal well with it.  I haven't avoided the panic attacks, but do minimize them when they happen by carrying around some xanax and klonopin with me at all times.

Yes!  I am always worried about whether I am going to have a panic attack away from home, and not be able to deal well with it.  I haven't avoided the panic attacks, but do minimize them when they happen by carrying around some xanax and klonopin with me at all times.

I hear that. I'd be screwed without my PRN.