CrazyBoards.org

Using a red marker etc instead of cutting

All right when I feel like cutting lately I have been instead drawing on myself with red marker or red on the places I want to cut. Today I resorted to using red koolaid as my red marker was dried out and just kind of rubbed in on the places I would normally cut on.

Does anyone else do this?? Does it really help you? Any other similar tricks you use??

I am going to have go take advantage of the back to school sales and get lots more markers and pens. :)

Thanks!

I've done it before - I actually prefer paint.  I like how it's cold going on and then it dries sort of hard.  I find it more satisfying than markers because it sort of drips a bit as well.  It's a stronger sensation.

We actually have lots of lists pinned in this subforum of tons of suggestions people have posted.

Good for you for using your alternatives! :)

Forgive me for "butting in" to the SI place as my experience of the subject is limited to a couple of people I use to know, but to my ignorant, uninformed ear, this sounds like a genuinely creative way to deal with the subject, especially the resultant guilt that come later.  

I like to draw on myself. I use all different colors. Sometimes I draw things or letters, but other times I just scribble. It's weirdly satisfying. I don't get strong urges to cut lately, but I still desire drawing on myself.

Other times, I put on some music and occupy myself with something soothing and quiet. Beading is perfect for this. It calms me down, sucks in my brain, and at the end I have a nice finished project instead of a mess to clean up and a two or three week sentence of wearing concealing clothes in hot weather. I love the distraction list here. There are as many coping skills as there are people. :)

Dusk, I've used the rubber band trick too. It does help to a degree.

I like pouring some warm candle wax (not too hot) on my skin, letting it dry, then picking it off. Dipping my fingers into an extinguished candle that's still kind of melty works too. I like the sensation of peeling the dried wax off.

I haven't tried using a marker, but I like the idea. I think I'll try it the next time I'm overwhelmed with urges. 

Kind of like the candle wax I also have put elmers glue on different areas and then picked it off after it dried. I actually remember doing this a lot as kid as a self soothing technique. I havent done this in awhile but I may try it out again.