CrazyBoards.org

Narcotic pain tolerance

I've been on pain meds (percocet and lortab) for over a month now. They do a decent to okay job of helping with the pain, but I have yet to get use to being bombed off of my rocker.  I cant drive or pay attention.  My reactions with individual can be embarrassing due to me being super gushy.  And the half idiotic grin I give my ex wife is just down right embarrassing.    Hell's bells, if you've been reading my blog or forum posts, you might even recognize the change. 

I've tried cutting back on the pills, but I've got a tumor a little bigger than a can of Coke that's all wrapped up with nerves (actually the tumor itself is a nerve), blood vessels, intestines and other stuff.  So cutting back leads to a lot of pain.  I just cant believe I haven't built up a tolerance for this stuff yet.  I know that one the one good things is that its will be less traumatic to quit taking them, it also means that I don't have to take larger doses to take care of the pain and coming off of them (if that ever happens) won't be as bad due to the lower doses.  But I'm tired to telling people in customer service what a great job they are doing and emphasizing how I know how thankless is and demanding to talk to their manager to let them know what a great person they have working for them.

And my kids, being teens (even non rebellious ones, who are only minorly embarrassed by their parents) are sick to death of hearing how special they are, and how much I love them and they are just the best ever.  Their eyeballs are in serious, medical danger or rolling so far back into their head as to cause irreparable damage. 

So after a month, I still have trouble driving, and interacting with humans devolves just shy into a "Come by ya my Lord" drum circle.  

Has anyone gone this long or have any tips about mitigating these effects or should I just say "fuck it," and enjoy it while it lasts?

I had a great big long post and then pressed the wrong key. You're going to get the abbreviated version this time. 

It won't last. You'll become used to the meds and you'll stop getting the buzz that you're feeling now. You'll get to the point where the dose you're on now won't do anything for the pain. I wish it wasn't true but it is. If you're going to have to be on pain meds long-term then you'll build up a tolerance.

Oh, and I moved this posting to the neuropathic & chronic pain forum. You'll probably get more/better responses in this forum.

Thanks bunches.  They will be severing the peripheral nerve on the L5 about an inch from the spine, so I'll most likely be on something.  I hope a pain med cocktail is easier to figure out than a psych med coctail.

Have you tried amitriptyline or Lyrica or any of the other meds like that? They certainly won't stop the pain but in my case, when I went back on amitriptyline for depression, it helped with my pain. I still had to take pain meds but I was able to cut back considerably.  

Eldorado, no wonder you have been so lovable lately.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  And I think this euphoria is the least of your problems.

Keeping you in my thoughts for the surgery ahead.

I am just naturally this way.  xxoo  LB

I'm sorry I have little to add. My mom was on morphine in her late stage cancer treatment, and she did eventually develop a tolerance even to that. I know it made her euphoric, too, for awhile. It's better euphoria than pain.

I'm thinking of you. I wish for things to go well with you.

Lortab doesn't have that effect on me, but when I went to the ER with a really bad TN flair, the doc ordered a shot of Dilaudid, and I experienced euphoria. I couldn't even drive home. Still, euphoria and motor impairment are common side effects. Just be aware of breakthrough pain. It's a bitch. Best of luck with the surgery. I hope you have a speedy recovery.