CrazyBoards.org

Worried that mania may kick in

hi. I'm not sure what to expect in the near future b/c i have run out of my Abilify and Trileptal. I can't buy my meds b/c  I am waiting for my cobra health insurance check to post (it has been over a week & I am about to call & see if i mailed it to the wrong dept.). Without cobra, the meds cost close to $1100 together, which i cannot afford.

That being said, has anyone been in this situation? Running out of meds and facing perhaps a week or more without a mood stabilizer and AD? I'm also taking lamictal as a mood stabilizer so i won't be totally without one. 

I'm going to call my pdoc later and ask her as well. Just curious as to if anyone else here has gone through this. I already haven't been able to sleep for almost 4 days (other than 20 minute naps here & there) and don't feel tired.

I'm a bit scared b/c my last manic episode was super intense. I'm at the tail end of a college summer course and don't want to screw it up by not being able to concentrate enough to focus on studying & retaining material for the final! Among all of the other issues that mania causes. Ack!! Thanks for "listening".

I'm so sorry you're stuck in such a shitty situation! I'm frustrated just reading your post. I would definitely call and aggravate the hell out of the insurance company, that is unacceptable. Maybe your pdoc can give you some samples or something to get you through until you can fill the prescriptions? Either way I would call them too, just so they're aware of what's going on. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I really hope you can get your meds ASAP.

Yes do ask your pdoc about Abilify samples, my pdoc has a stash of samples that she hands out to patients who are in that kind of situation.  Here are my other suggestions,

- I don't know if you are on brand or generic Trileptal, but generic shouldn't be too terribly expensive, nothing like Abilify!  If you are anything like me, Trileptal should help with that sleeping problem.

- For Abilify you could try calling their patient assistance and see if they can do anything for you https://www.abilifyassistprogram.com//

- When I have had trouble like this, my pharmacist will let me buy 2-3 tabs at a time while waiting for insurance to get their act together.

- If you do end up paying out of pocket, but would have been covered at that time, insurance will reimburse you.  All you need to do is send them a form and proof that you paid.

Edited by tamagotchi

Also, Abilify has a really long half life, so it is not as bad if you skip a couple of them, you will still have some Abilify in your system.  Trileptal on the other hand has a really short half life, so if I were you I would concentrate on getting some of that ASAP.

Definitely call your pdoc for samples.

Call your pharmacy about selling just a few pills, and check with Target, Costco, and Walmart pharmacies. Sometimes they are cheaper.

You can also ask your pdoc about low cost temporary substitutes. Tegretol (carbamazepine) is closely related to Trileptal and it's on Walmart's $4.00 prescription list. Risperdal is an AAP that has a generic. Not sure that it's cheap, tho. I know it's not good to substitute meds but it is better than going without all together.

Thank you for your suggestions! I called cobra right when their offices opened this morning before school and the check posted! I am going to get my refills tonight. Hopefully there isn't a lag time before I have my coverage again. Hopefully they are available at the health insurance cost of $40 for both ! The trileptal is almost $300 here without insurance and the Abilify is about $800. Good info to know about the meds, thank you. I have risperdal leftover from when i went off of it so i can use that if i can't get the scripts tonight. I just really want to sleep! Still feel awake despite the lack of sleep. Please no mania!

Edited by Jaytea