CrazyBoards.org

My doctor just switched me from buspar to hydroxeyzine and I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this medication for anxiety? All of the research I have done seems very positive, but this is only my second night to take it so I can't confidently say the effect it has on me yet. I was on 15mg of buspar once a day, then we moved to 15mg twice a day and I still didn't feel like it was helping my anxiety or constant obsessing. 

It didn't work for me at all. I don't even recall that it made me tired. BuSpar didn't do crap for me either. Unfortunately, now I've been on benzos for like, five years. Trying to get off them. So hopefully you find something that works. I hope the Vistaril helps.

I took it, and also tried buspar for awhile...the buspar seemed to help some but I eventually got up to the max dose, had to stop it for like 2 weeks because I ran out and some was coming in the mail, and when I started it back up again all I got was a stomach ache, no anxiety relief. The Hydroxeyzine didn't work for me (I use it as a migraine med in conjunction with phenergan though!) for anxiety except once when I was in the hospital and was REALLY REALLY upset about something my pdoc threatened (I was being a jackass so I deserved it, but still..) and taking a Hydroxeyzine calmed my ass down really quickly.

My friend's step-daughter takes it PRN and it seems to work for her...

I hope it works out for you! :)

I found hydroxyzine to be very mildly sedating,  Iused to take it at night to help me fall asleep.  As a day-time med for anxiety, though, I didn't care for it.  It definitely reminded me of taking Benadryl, which makes sense, since they are both antihistamines.  Buspar was much more effective at treating my anxiety without leaving me feeling drugged, but Buspar completely blurred my vision.

I've noticed some of the same side effects with buspar which is why I wanted to try another medicine. About 20 minutes after I took it I always felt really hot and woozy. I didn't like the way it made me feel. Hydroxeyzine definitely works as a sedative for me. My doctor didn't give me any refills on it, so maybe once I finish that I can go back to buspar.

• 4 weeks later...

I am taking Hydroxyzine but the doc did this special test to see how I metabolize the meds and it said I had 200% more Hydroxyzine in my system than I should. I am actually taking it for itching. I do have GAD and take Ativan for that.