Epilepsy help plz

Had a seizure last night, a bad one.

the doc said it was a seizure and gave me these sheets that basically said I have epilepsy. Which I believe. Because I have been having almost the "brain hiccups" smaller ones. He gave me a name of a doctor to see but obviously I can't over the weekend.

Other people online have written this is pretty serious? 

he said not to drink or smoke. Besides that what home remedies could I use.

I immediately thought caffeine since its the opposite of alcohol? Im drinking a cup now. Ive read varying reports. I'm loading up on vitamins I saw that helped.

so any remedies?

and how bad is this for my brain?

TIA

Caffeine can lower the seizure threshold. There aren't really any natural remedies for epilepsy. Anticonvulsants (such as Depakote, Tegretol, Dilantin, etc) are usually first line treatments.

Do you have Ativan? I still stand by my suggestion in your other posting about this topic, which is to call the prescribing doctor and get their opinion right now. Yes, seizures are serious. Maybe the prescribing doctor will give you some Ativan--it is something that they should be able to call in.

Klonopin is sometimes used with antiseizure medication and suddenly stopping it can increase seizures if you're subject to getting them. Ativan is often given during a seizure to stop it, or before a seizure (if you get auras) to try and stop it, or make it milder. You can stick it under your tongue and let it absorb quickly. 

I'm glad you got the wellbutrin halved. I'd rather take some withdrawal than a seizure. If you don't get withdrawal, then excellent.

But definitely get checked out. Get in touch with the doc you were referred to. Weekends can seem so long when you're waiting. I hope your brain calms down a bit until then!

My husband has poorly controlled Epilepsy, and is on two ACs (Lamictal and Tri-leptal). He takes 1mg of klonopin at bedtime, because the vast majority of his seizures start while he is asleep.

He takes ativan, but it is usually because I have convinced him to take it post-seizure (post-ictal is the medical term, in case you haven't learned that yet). He walks around in a fugue state for 20-60 min. He could have another seizure at that time, and he is upright, so he could just drop, and he has smacked his head more than once, he has several scars on his face. He takes a 2mg tablet, which is a lot (not unheard of, it just surprises EMTs). Usually after I have coaxed him into taking it, he starts to come around, and finally recognizes me. Then he goes to bed. So at that point, he has 3mg of benzos in his bloodstream, and is unlikely to seize again that night.

He is unable to drive. He is now on SSDI, but that was after a failed surgery (failed, not fucked up), and his seizures are worse. He is insanely bad, most people with epilepsy are able to be controlled with medication. It is highly, highly unlikely you will have this level of disability. He has had poorly controlled epilepsy since he was 13. But I just figured I'd give you an example.

So it is a condition to be taken seriously. But many people lead normal, successful lives, and it doesn't interfere with their day to day life. One example is Chief Justice John Roberts, he's done okay for himself. Unfortunately (sorry, lefty lawyer here).

ETA I mean unfortunately about his career, not unfortunately he doesn't have more seizures.

Edited by crtclms

Did you have an EEG with a neurologist? You said you were diagnosed with epilepsy this morning and I was curious if you had a EEG preformed. In my own mental health experience along with family members & friends it is very difficult to get a neurologist to take you seriously with a mental disorder (especially a schizophrenic type disorder). Usually (and from first hand experience) when you walk into a neurologist office and they see that diagnosis & medications list they immediately turn to one of those and dismiss. I am very surprised you got to see a neurologist & get an EEG & get a diagnosis so quick and seemingly without the issues most people face.

You should consider yourself a very lucky individual, my friend!

Also, you said in a different post that you did not have seizures on a lower dose of Wellbutrin. If that is really the case, the neurologist who diagnosed you with epilepsy should have waited to see if the decrease of your medication helped stopped the seizures; to see if it is the medication and not an actual epileptic disorder. Because yes Wellbutrin lowers the seizure threshold, but because you had a seizure it does not automatically mean epilepsy.

In my experience, I had quite a few "brain hiccups" as well as Simple & Complex Partial seizures on Klonopin but it was because of such med, and not actually Epilepsy. I'm kind of concerned here. Although I have no idea of your full situation & history so I am probably reading this way wrong.

Edited by Gibson